Chapter 6: Last Man Standing

August 13th 1967:

The final details of the breakout plan had been crafted. The 7 men that were prepared to orchestrate the breakout were huddled together to decide the roles. Shimano began listing names along with roles.

"Kazama, you're on look out, so you use these guns to stop anyone who crosses our path" Shimano handed over two silenced handguns.

"Akechi, you're on lockpickin' duty, Tanahashi, you're gatherin' disguises, Kimura, you're disablin' the lights, Aoki, you grab the getaway vehicle while Me n' Kashiwagi will be the muscle" explained Shimano.

"So, ya all got that? We're plannin' on doing this in a month's time so until then, lay low."

Kazama strolled around the prison yard, peacefully when he saw Tanahashi sitting on the benches, looking down at the grass.

"Hey, Tanahashi, you ok?" Asked Kazama.

"Yeah, it's just I don't want to mess this up. I have my brother waiting on me to get out and I don't want to disappoint him. He's had problems with debt for a while and I want to help him." Those words had a deep impact on Kazama. He had spent the previous months before his arrest living dangerously and he hadn't spent much time thinking about other's beyond the family.

From that day on, he knew he had to protect Tanahashi during the breakout.

"Don't worry, I'll try to protect you, you have my word" reassured Kazama.

A week later...

Kazama sat on the bench in the yard, yearning to finally head outside when Shimano took a seat next to him.

"Kazama, I just found out ya are in the Naito Family. Guess that makes me n' you anikis!" Said Shimano. "Anyway, listen, when we get back out there, Patriarch Matsushima's makin' some heavy moves on our turf so Kamurocho's gonna be dangerous when we get back. Just warnin' ya."

Kazama turned to Shimano. "Shimano, I heard you're in here for murder, what did you do?"

Shimano laughed. "I killed some man who didn't pay back a moneylender. Funny thing is, this moneylender ain't even an ally of Naito, but Naito told me to off the guy. I guess in times o' war, people do desperate things."

"A moneylender?" Thought Kazama.

"Yep, Tanizawa-san is an associate through and through of Matsushima, but he's been doin' some deals with Naito recently." Answered Shimano.

Kazama realised that Tanizawa was the same moneylender that Hirano had problems with before he went to prison. Kazama just had to survive a few more weeks in prison before he was out.

September 13th 1967:
1:49 AM:

The plan had finally begun to be executed. While the others were gathering tools, Kazama and Kashiwagi had to find a way to break out of their cell. Searching around for any supplies,

Kazama found a rusted nail sitting on the window.

"We could use this" Kazama showed the nail to his partner.

"Do you even know how to use those? Isn't Akechi the expert?" Wondered Kashiwagi.

"Yeah he is, but he taught me a few tricks of the trade" Kazama dug the nail into the lock and after a large amount of effort, the door opened.

Cell Block D-7 was built like a concrete labyrinth, with twists and turns everywhere to prevent breakouts, however Shimano provided a map to assist Kazama and Kashiwagi.

They peeked out the window to discover the lights had switched off and Tanahashi had a rope set up at the window. Kazama and Kashiwagi stealthly climbed out the window and traversed down the rope.