Finale: Absolution

May 16th 1961:

Kazama and Hirano sat in an alleyway, next to Shellac, a hidden bar within the Champion District. They ate snacks and chatted about their day.

"Kazama, that's rough. I never expected your parents to kick you out like that" sympathised Hirano, pointing towards the scratch on Kazama's neck.

"I mean it's not that big of a deal that me and you have that thing where we sell things" said Kazama.

"I mean we do pick pockets from time to time." Admitted Hirano.

Kazama sighed before getting up and strolling with Hirano towards Taihei Boulevard. Crowds congregated around the busy street as Kazama and Hirano tried to force their way through them, trying to get past all the people.

After getting through all the people, Kazama begun setting up the stall where himself and Hirano usually sold their goods, in the Kamuro Shopping District. The first few hours went by slowly. They had both sold only one item and Hirano had fallen asleep from boredom.

Kazama suddenly shook Hirano. "Hey, those people over there might buy so stay awake" advised Kazama. A couple walked up to the stall, their faces red with anger. Kazama didn't realise who they were until it was too late.

Kazama's dad, Yoshitaka, forcefully grabbed Kazama by the ear and dragged him through an alleyway to a small, abandoned lot.

"You have a lot of guts to be selling still!" Yoshitaka threw Kazama to the ground onto the damp dirt. Yoshitaka continued beating his son until a mysterious man wearing a trenchcoat appeared from the alleyway.

Yoshitaka shrieked in terror and revealed a knife from his pocket. The mystery man dodged Yoshitaka's knife and knocked him out with a single blow.

Kazama crawled back, scared of the mysterious man.

"Don't worry, boy. I helped your friend as well. You don't have to worry about your mother and father anymore" reassured the man. The mystery man helped Kazama to his feet.

"You're a yakuza, aren't you?" Said Kazama. "Let me and Hirano work for you! We need the work and no one is buying from our stall!" Kazama bowed to the mystery man, begging him to give himself and Hirano a chance.

The man breathed a deep sigh for a second. "Not yet, my boy. But one day, once you and your friend are old enough. When that happens, look for an office on Senryo Avenue and ask the men there if you can see Patriarch Naito, and I'll answer." Naito stepped out of the Empty Lot while Kazama watched him in awe, inspired to follow the man out of admiration.

December 13th 1974:

Kazama stood in the exact same spot where he had met Naito thirteen years prior. Snow blanketed the dirty concrete of the lot as the rusty building on the border creaked in the heavy wind.

"Hirano, I'm sorry" sighed Kazama, looking up at the sky. "I failed you." After a quiet moment, Kazama left the empty lot and walked back to Kashiwagi's van.

"You ok, aniki?" Said Kashiwagi with concern. Kazama sat in the car seat, silent. Refusing to speak a word ever since Hirano's death. "Aniki, you haven't spoken for the entire night ever since the tower raid, it's ok, you can speak to me."

Kazama still refused to utter a word, and that remained until they got to the orphanage. When he got out of the car, Kazama ignored his brother and the kids and went straight into his room. Joji tried to open the door, but it was locked.

Kazama sat on the floor and begun crying while staring at a framed photograph of himself and Hirano.

"Why? Why does it have to be like this!?" Screamed Kazama.