Chapter 26 - The Bureau

"Agent N?" Donatello commented. I shrugged at him.

"Do you need help?" Zeke asked if I can walk on my own.

"No, I think I got it" I got up and immediately sat back down. "No, I don't got it" I chuckled. Zeke shook his head and helped me up. I looked at the guys.

"I'll see you around guys" They nodded and Zeke and I started to walk and passed Patricia.

"At ease"

"Yes, ma'am" she said and started walking behind us. we were walking silently next to each other as I remained in thought. We're going to the Bureau.

That's Mr. Kim's office.

---

Zeke and I stopped in front of Mr. Kim's office. I looked at the sign on the door. 'Director Kim'. My eyes fixated on the sign for a few seconds. The last time I was here was when he gave me the mission to go to the States. That was the last time I saw him physically.

"Nova" Zeke called my name and pulled me out of my thoughts. I looked at him and raised my hand to open the door. We entered the office and they were already clearing out his office.

They were numerous boxes on the table and on the floor. I clenched my jaw, frustrated. I looked back at Patricia that was standing behind us.

"The man's been dead for barely a week and you're already throwing away his sh*t?" I said with irritation. The agent looked at me and looked down.

"It was the lieutenants' orders, ma'am" She countered immediately.

"The lieutenants?! Those f*cking bastards?!" I said angrily. I was in disbelief at the situation.

The lieutenants were also present when Mr. Kim assigned me the mission. I put my hand on my forehead and took a deep breath in and slowly out again. I looked at Zeke and motioned my head to the desk. He nodded and led me to the desk. I sat on the rolling chair and put my elbows on the desk. I looked back at the agent.

"Why was I required here?" I asked her. Patricia reached for something in her pocket and walked towards me. She handed me something and I opened my hand to look at what it was.

"A key?" I looked at my hand and back at her.

"Yes…Director Kim gave me this last week. He told me to give this to you just in case anything happens to him…" She looked me in the eyes and I looked back down in my hand.

"That key is supposed to open the locked drawer on your right" I looked at the drawer she mentioned and saw that there was indeed a keyhole.

"Then, I will excuse myself" Patricia put her hands behind and nodded.

"Wait, where were the lieutenants when the organization was getting infiltrated?" I asked her and she was quiet for a second.

"...We don't know, ma'am" She answered in a way that barely masked her resentment. I scowled.

"What do you mean you don't f*cking know?" I raised my voice.

"…We believe they left the country-"

"What the f*ck?!" Both me and Zeke responded. Patricia clenched her jaw. These morons left the country. Wow. I sighed and closed my eyes.

"Okay, thank you Patricia. You are excused" She nodded and left the room. I shook my head in disbelief. I looked at the key in my hand and back at the drawer. I rolled to the drawer and opened it with the key. When I opened it, there were two black folders stacked on top of each other with the IAA logo on top of them. I grabbed the folders and put them on the desk.

I opened the top folder and raised my eyebrows. It was a picture of me and Mr. Kim on our first mission together – which was the day I had my first kill. I recognized the background. We were in this office and he kept begging me to take a picture. He had a big smile and put up a peace sign and I – being an awkward kid – stood there emotionlessly. I remembered he told be to 'fix my face before it gets stuck like that forever'. I scoffed a laugh at the picture and shook my head.

"I can't believe he kept this picture. It's been a decade" I said to Zeke. He leaned in behind me with a hand on the chair to look at the picture.

"You were a cute ki-"

"Shut up" I interrupted him and we both chuckled. I turned the picture to see the back and saw 'First mission. January 5th, 2010'. I looked back at the picture and smiled. I put the picture to the side and saw a paper.

My smile slightly dropped when I noticed what it was. It was a handwritten letter from Mr. Kim. It was two pages long. I grabbed the two-page letter and brought it closer to me. I shifted my head to the side to look at Zeke, but he already knew what I was going to say.

"You want to be alone?" I nodded.

"Yes…thank you" He looked at me and nodded in understanding. He leaned back and walked out of the office.

As the door closed, I looked back down at the two-page letter. I put my hands on my face and sighed, trying to prepare myself for the content of this letter.

"Okay…" I whispered to myself and put my eyes on the letter.