Chapter 17: Convoluted

Kate

I heard Dylan calling my name and I just kept running. I know I should hear his side of the story first but right now, I need some time alone. It's not easy to take in if you just saw the guy you like having his lips stuck on some girl that you don't even know. I'm tired of running but I have this will and determination of getting away from him. I'm exhausted and my feet hurt, he was still at my back, chasing me. Eventually, I stop running and he was able to catch up and hold my wrist.

"Kate, listen to me." He said while his hands are clasp around my wrist, preventing me to run away from him. "I didn't do that. I mean, I didn't started that. She came to me, I didn't even plan on kissing her back. I swear."

I wasn't able to look at him in the eyes because all I can recall was the time that his lips were pressed against the girl's lips. I was hurting inside but I tried my best not to let any tear escape from my eyes. It is because after I got my heart broken because of some guy, I promise myself that I won't cry anymore just because of a guy but seeing me like this was difficult to take in.

There is this half of me that wanted to believe him and the other part just wanted to get away from him. I look at him straight in the eyes and said, "I need some time alone. Can you give that to me? It's not that I don't want to believe you. I just want to clear up my mind a bit."

He slowly lets go off my wrist, "I really like you Kate, that wasn't my fault. What you saw a while ago wasn't my fault. You have to believe—" I held his right hand and held it tightly even if my hands were still shaking.

"Dylan." I stare down at my feet, "I need some time alone." I slowly let go off his hand and turn my back. "Congratulations for winning the game. I'm sorry if I went late." After that, I started walking. He didn't follow me anymore and I didn't turn my head to look at him.

Dylan

It has been three days since the incident Kate saw me with Talia. She still wasn't talking to me and as if she was avoiding me. Whenever I saw her, I'll greet her and she'll just smile weakly and continue to walk wherever her destination will be. She hasn't been eating at the cafeteria with us and she seldom talks to Beth. The guys and Beth know what happened because I told them the incident. Ryan doesn't really gives a shit of what I said because all this time, he believes that we're just pretending the relationship thing. Austin, on the other hand, told me that I should give her some space. Beth has giving me the silent treatment because she thinks that it was all my fault. She didn't say anything but I have the feeling that she's blaming me. During lunch break or even recess, I don't know where Kate went because I can't find her in the campus or even in the cafeteria. She often goes alone and when the school's over, she'll go straight home.

I think I'm going insane because of what happened. I wanted for us to be okay again because this thing that is going on is making me lose out of control.

I'm at the parking lot, leaning my back against my car. I didn't attend my last period, I was hoping that I could catch up with Kate before she leave.

Kate

I can't forget about what happened last Saturday. The incident after the game. It kept on replaying at the back of my mind and I have this little feeling of getting mad about it and a big part of me getting hurt. I was in pain and whenever I see him, even if I wanted to believe his words, I just can't. I wanted to believe him but I have some part of me wanting to say no and just forget about him. I just wanted to go back at the time where I was invisible and when no one notices me. I don't care if I don't have friends, I just wanted to have some peace in mind and to graduate in this school.