Chapter 20: Accidents

Kate

I read my favorite novel in the cafeteria because I don't have anything else to do but this since I have finish eating my food already. Isaac, Dylan, Ryan and Austin were busy talking about the life of Isaac and as to how did he even entered this school. I pretended that I didn't hear anything and just continue to read my favorite novel. Beth has already left ten minutes ago because she have something do with her laboratory partner in chemistry. I only wish that she could stay longer to accompany me at this time because I feel like I'm the only one who is left alone in here.

"So Kate, what's up? Are you okay?" Isaac slams the table to get my attention and he didn't fail to get it. I showed my weakest my smile and nodded with my eyes stuck on the book.

He grabs my book and extended his arms up so that I may not be able to reach it. He's 6'1 for fucking sake, how will I be able to get it?

"Give me my book please?" I displayed a serious look on my face, I just want my book back and be out of this school already.

"Give it back to her Isaac." Dylan pulled Isaac's shirt and extended his arms to take a hold of my book. When he finally got it, he gave it back to me with a weak smile tugged on his lips.

"You should back me up, I'm your cousin you know." He sneered when he finishes his sentence and then he look at me with a genuine smile on his face.

Austin chuckles for a second and directed a question at Isaac, "You're his cousin but she's his girlfriend." Austin pointed his index finger at me.

"What? Did you just say that Kate and Dylan are in a relationship?" A sudden change of facial expression was evident on his face. What's the matter of me being Dylan's girlfriend?

My phone vibrated from my pocket and it was a message from my mother. The bell rang and I stand up from where I'm sitting and said, "I'll head first." I grab my books from the table and hung my bag on my shoulder. "Wait, let me help you." Dylan stands up from his seat and took my books from my arms and carried it.

I carefully take my book away from Dylan's hands and said in the most possible calm manner, "I can handle it. I'll just see you later." I tried smiling like it wasn't obvious that it was fake but judging on the look on his face, he wasn't buying any of it.

"Kate, let me—" I place my index finger on his lips to prevent him to stop any words coming out of his mouth. "See you later." I replied.

Without any further ado, I left him there together with his friends. I feel like I've been stabbed in the chest.

--

Dylan

Something is wrong with Kate. She's acting a bit strange today and I don't know the reason why. I scratch the back of my neck and continued stare at Kate's figure getting smaller as she exited the cafeteria. I rub my temples and sat down beside Ryan who displays an arrogant look on his face.

"What's your problem?" With the look that Ryan have on his face, I'm guessing that he was about to say something that is bad for my eardrums.

Isaac made himself notice by simply coughing and I, on the other hand just look at him. He ran his fingers on his brown hair and said, "Kate is your girlfriend?" I'm surprised that he wasn't still dropping that topic. He usually doesn't care about my love life and now he starts to show an interest of it. "Why a sudden interest?" I immediately answered his question.

He hesitantly said, "I just wanted to know. Is it bad to ask?" He stands up from his seat and waved his hand in the air. "I'll be on my way to class, I'll just see you later then." He awkwardly smile and left the three of us without saying anything.