PROLOGUE - PHARRO

The scent of rotting Oria an afterthought, Pharro Veehmed the dead Carnac ahead through the crumbling remains of the holding cell doors, the disgusting creature hovering just high enough the tip of its tail dragged across the ground.

High above, staff and Royals readied for immediate departure. No one knew he was here, not even the security team. The blackout device in his pocket made sure of that.

The lifeless creature thudded onto the grated trench as he stepped up to the round, glowing cell and opened the door.

"Time to go, Dawith," he growled.

The disheveled investigator was slow to exit, but quick to draw back upon his usual air of superiority, straightening and smoothing out his rumpled clothes.

But he drew up short, swearing at the sight of the Carnac.

"Please tell me that isn't a—"

"A rotting minion of the great Vek himself, yes," Pharro admitted. Because there was no use lying. Anyone in a high enough political position, such as Dawith's, knew exactly what the creatures were and where they came from. "But it's dead. Don't you worry."

Dawith shuddered, looking like he might be sick. "You all will have much to answer for when you return."

Pharro regarded him without expression. "Not at all. While the situation may have gotten away from us a few times, at no point were we outside the Creea's approval."

He snorted. "You aren't helping your case, Gonreem."

"There is no case. She told you nothing. She said so herself."

"She implied plenty, as you have just done."

"You plan to put words in my mouth then?"

"I plan to give the Five a thorough, detailed report of every single thing I observed while here."

"And what, exactly, have you observed while here?"

Dawith pulled a small device from his ear, a silver com-bead, and pocketed it. "She's special, your Orion. I rooted for her for a while. Onra and his brother were quite the opponents, weren't they? You lost me, though, at Corvek's Directive Crossek."

Pharro allowed a small smile. "You hid a receiver on her person."

"I didn't know how long I would get to question her." He narrowed his eyes. "Did you know Nazonna is a Vek?"

Pharro chuckled, the sound far from friendly. "You've made this decision so much easier."

Dawith finally had the good sense to look uneasy. "The High Council sent me here, Gonreem. If anything happens to me—"

The black taloned tip of a Carnac tail slid easily through the man's neck, cutting off his words. The boney, clawed hands came next, swiping up Dawith's back and across his throat. And then the tail disappeared, only to reappear half a second later as it buried itself in Dawith's chest.

The man's horrified expression slackened, and his body crumpled to the ground.

Pharro smiled and let the body of the second Carnac fall, the first merely a distraction. One less threat to Orion, one less nuisance to all of them.

*************