CHAPTER 14 - TRITTEON

As soon as Cozmin disappeared through the doors with the guards, I located Rilyin, still in his public office with only Pharro now, discussing Ezlinn Vasprey's behavior.

I knocked on the door twice and let myself in before Pharro could say otherwise.

Rilyin sat behind his desk and Pharro in a chair beside him, his leather folder opened in front of them, both pouring over its contents.

"Sir, it's important," I said quickly as Pharro looked up with his customary scowl.

Rilyin smiled warmly, motioning to one of three chairs in front of his desk. "Sit, sit! How did it go? Tell me all of..." His eyes drifted down to my arm, to my wrist covered in splotches of Orion's blood. The lightheartedness vanished. "What happened?"

I shook my head. "It's nothing. Just missed a few spots after my duel with Hadley Conic," I lied.

Rilyin's concern melted into a huge grin. "Did you really? How did it go?"

"Exceptionally. But that is not what I came to talk about."

Rilyin gave me a knowing smile. "Exceptional? Really, Tritteon? Tell me how it really was."

I grinned, allowing myself a moment to appreciate what an incredible honor it had been. "Alright, it was amazing. Almost as challenging as a go with Orion. He even invited me to come again."

Rilyin got to his feet and started around the desk. "That's wonderful! I am so happy for you!"

I couldn't help smiling at his sincerity. "And thank you for the cake, sir. It was delicious."

He pulled me into a brief hug. "I hoped you would enjoy it. Happy Birthday." He blew out a breath, shaking his head. "I still can't quite wrap my head around it. Only a year left. Are you prepared for such an undertaking?"

I met his eyes, doubting I was really feeling the full weight of the question. "Were you?"

He laughed. "Absolutely not. But my greatest hope for you is that I've, at the very least, been a good enough mentor."

I squeezed his shoulder. "I couldn't have asked for someone better." I let him go. "But as much as I would love to tell you every detail of my evening, there really is something much more pressing that needs to be discussed."

Rilyin's expression became serious. He stepped back and leaned against the desk. "Go ahead."

I squared my shoulders, steadying my emotions. "Mari Asa is dead."

Pharro snapped to attention. "What? How?"

"Heart attack. From what I saw from Cozmin Lynn's mind, Asa's human doctors were unable to get to her in time."

Rilyin shook his head, eyes shuttering. "When did this happen? How is Lynn holding up?"

"Five days ago—"

Pharro was on his feet. "What? Why wasn't this brough to our attention? The Creea would've replaced her by now."

"They have," I said, straining to keep the fury from my eyes. But I failed and the room turned violet.

Rilyin straightened abruptly, once again unable to quell his alarm at the sight of my eyes, one of many things he was still adjusting to now that he could see.

Pharro ignored his reaction. "Who?" he asked.

I pushed the violet down until my vision cleared and Rilyin was able to relax. "Riker Atrius," I hissed.

Both men swore.

"How dare they," Pharro snarled, slamming his leather folder shut.

"What about Lynn?" Rilyin asked.

The Bond and Other Curses || Book Twoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें