CHAPTER 18 - ORION

Rilyin's office was one large, high-ceilinged room with floor to ceiling bookshelves on every wall, three or four cushioned seats in every corner, two doors on the wall opposite the one we entered through, and a large, black, crescent shaped desk similar to, though slightly smaller and more intricate than the one in the Surveillance room. The outside of the desk was a solid mural of swirling forests, flowers, and large birds. A work of art.

Pharro threw a Veehm around four chairs and positioned them facing each other in front of the desk. I flicked out my own Veehm and pushed them a little further apart. Childish maybe. But I didn't want to be near any of them. And that display out in the hall didn't mean I'd forgiven Tritteon.

Rilyin sat first, the ankle of his left boot resting on his right knee. He, like Pharro, was clean-shaven and dressed in a high-collared, black suit. Unlike Pharro's simple, but elegant gold edging along the collar and lapels, Rilyin's was covered in raised, black designs and intricate, gold accents and gold epaulettes on the shoulders. The gold line down the center of his forehead was still smeared, though.

"How did you find out?" he asked.

I shot a look at Tritteon and lifted my block. "If we tell them, will Cozmin be—"

"I'll handle it," he said.

I nodded.

"Please speak openly," Rilyin said impatiently.

"We will not be revealing our source," Tritteon said.

"You will if we command it," Pharro snapped.

I crossed one leg over the other and let a ball of red Destere blossom and then fade in my palm. "I'm full of threats today too, Pharro. Try me."

Rilyin only sat there, his narrowed eyes traveling between us.

"We have everything neatly handled, sir," Tritteon assured him.

Rilyin nodded. "Fine. Then we will let the matter drop...if only because of the time constraint."

Pharro leaned forward, scowling. "Did this source know any more than what I told you?"

Tritteon shifted in his seat, his nerves suddenly sharp and nauseating. "Only...a few more details."

Lexicon swore. "That is what he meant! He'd known Pharro knew!"

I whirled. "What the hell do you mean a few more?"

Pharro leaned back in his seat, refusing to hide his self-satisfied sneer. "He's known what this is between you since the Rest House."

I was on my feet. "You've known for four days and didn't tell me?"

He lowered his gaze.

"You've known for four days and still asked me to wait a few more. You're a damn coward!"

He was out of his chair before I could blink, his nose inches from mine. "Yes! I am! And you are terrifyingly unpredictable! I didn't know how to tell you. You've barely looked at me these last few days. I was terrified you would run, that you would never forgive me." He sighed through his nose and sank back into his seat. "I couldn't stomach the thought of this country losing you because of my mistake," he said quietly.

Rilyin muttered something under his breath I didn't catch. "I am disgusted with the both of you," he snarled. "You knew we were looking for answers, Gonreem, and you said nothing. And Tritteon, his guilt does not absolve you from your silence either. This is inexcusable."

"That is why I told her."

"Four days later," I snarled.

He said nothing.