Chapter 5

He opened the special room’s door, and his movements were so quiet to not disturb the afternoon’s languidness.

“Edith.”

Edith, who rested her head on her forearm on the table, was fast asleep. Her eyelids were shut tight.

Clyde’s steps paused.

The moment he found her sleeping, his gentle steps stopped altogether.

After watching the special room’s atmosphere for a while from afar, he approached carefully so that he couldn’t even hear the rustling sound of his clothes.

Clyde sat slowly across the small table, holding his breath.

He moved his lips without sound and called, ‘Edith.’

There was no response.

He tilted his head and looked at her face with disheveled hair, but there was no reaction.

Clyde didn’t want to wake up the beautiful girl from her deep sleep. He was going to wait and watch until she got up.

A space where no one can go in and out, a quiet and secret private room, and a time after a meal where slumber came.

It was a perfect atmosphere to look at her in a trance.

He sat facing her for a long time, like a marble statue sculpture, and locked her with his eyes.

A smile formed around the corner of his mouth, wrapped in his sharp jawline.

It was a completely different atmosphere from when she was told to read the high-stakes documents immediately.

Clyde rested his elbows on the table, quiet enough to hear the dust settle down. The movement of his chin was also cautious.

A long finger reached out toward her hair.

He touched a strand of her hair that was sticking out with a light movement that he couldn’t even feel it.

He let out a small, dreamy whisper.

“Are you deliberately pretending not to know me, like I do?”

Her last sigh was caught, and he exhaled his breath a little before stopping.

“Or is it true that you forgot me?”

The remnant of his breath gradually came little by little.

There was no reason to be so careful, but he didn’t want to ruin her sleep once he decided not to wake her up.

He had always thought they would meet again someday. Edith grew up just as he had dreamed of and adequately developed her childhood genius, passing his exams effortlessly.

He was proud and grateful to her.

Clyde had been looking for an attendant to work in the special room. He needed someone to devise a strategic plan with him, apart from the servant who would handle the official documents in the office.

But the first servant to fill this position was Edith.

He was even a little thrilled.

He got a little bolder when she didn’t notice, even as he fiddled with her sticking hair.

His insidious yet instinctive greed grew so fast that he wanted to do something while she hadn’t woken up.

He folded his upper body and stood up halfway up.