1

Four years ago, I left my family with my mother's blessing as she sent me with Pops and Nonna. Don't get me wrong, I love my large family, but six overprotective fathers and six older brothers kind of limits what I can do. I was sick and tired of living such a sheltered life. My fathers had hired private tutors for all of my schooling, so when it came to applying for college, I did. I applied for colleges all over the country except the Seattle area where we lived. Mom found out first and helped me get my fathers to agree to let me come to New York City to be a business major and culinary minor. So now I've finished up my final semester of college and am starting my own little coffee house. I know all my parents will be upset when they find out I'm not moving home after graduation in two weeks but it's time for me to make my own life outside of the families and all they hold power over. I could easily go home and work in my father, Jasper's, company with my older twin brothers, but I don't want things handed to me. I don't want to be the spoiled princess of the Red Queen and her six kings. I don't want to be Darion Angelina Chase of the mafia empire. I just want to simply be Dari. I want to live free from the worries of the mafia life. My coffee house is a great place to start. I've named it Dari's Delights, and I'll have a small menu of items to accompany the sweet treats and coffee that are the main part of what I'll be offering.  My nonna, Marie, and my pops, Theodore, have been helping me set up the coffee house for the past month for today.

The grand opening of Dari's Delights is at 6am, and I have been up since 3am baking all sorts of fresh sweet treats. I went to each office building within three blocks, leaving various coupons and advertising my grand opening to help ensnare some business as well as take out menus. I hired two people as my additional waitstaff to help manage the front for when I'm in the kitchen. I quickly check my appearance for any flour or sugar remnants. I'm all set with my flawless medium glowing skin, my natural red curls pulled up in a hair tie, and my green eyes. I look so much like my mother. I'm just a few shades darker than her in skin tone, mine being more of a natural tan look I inherited from my biological father, Darius. The rest of my looks came from my mother, even my height at five feet tall when every single one of my brothers are over six feet tall. I got my love for cooking from my father, but my love for sweets is definitely from my mother as well as my hatred for shopping.

I snapped out of my thoughts at a frantic knock on the front door. I went to the front seeing a rushed and frazzled looking woman. I opened up the door for her to rudely rush in, knocking me down off my feet. Instantly, my dislike for this woman was there as she then demanded three large coffees rudely. "Excuse you?" I questioned in an annoyed voice. She demanded them once more. "No, you can leave. I've not opened yet, and quite frankly, you're rude, and I will not serve you. Out. Now." I stated, opening the door once more. She left with a little help out the door from me just as Paris arrived to start for the day.

The day flew by, and soon, it was just me once more prepping for tomorrow when the bell rang out from the front once more. I dried my hand off quickly before heading out to the front. I stopped behind the register where a large man was waiting to place an order. I rambled out the pleasantries necessary, making eye contact before fetching his three coffees. "Is there anything else I can get you, sir?" I questioned softly. He coughed slightly before taking a seat at the counter next to the register. "Whatever you would recommend to go with them," he stated. "The raspberry tart to pair with the dark roast, the chocolate cake medium roast, and I'd pair the roast beef and pepperjack cheese with the iced coffee." I answered unconsciously, pointing to each of the coffees. "I'll take it," he said before talking more to himself, "we'll be in the office for a few more hours at least." I made light conversation with him as I packaged up two of the tarts, two pieces of cake, and the roast beef sandwich, placing everything in a bag for him. "Here you are. I hope you enjoy," I said, passing him the bag. He reached for his wallet, but I stopped him with a smile. "No charge. I'm closed for the day. I just forgot to lock the door." I said just as the bell went off once more. "Hey, pops, I'll be done in a moment. You can start getting everything together for the shelter. I need to grab my keys from the back." I said. I turned back to the gentleman in front of me to see him putting his wallet away. He placed a hundred dollar bill on the counter before grabbing the drink carrier and bag and then left before I could say anything. I shook my head, placing it in the register, deciding that I'll give it to him when he came back.

Theo helped me pack up the pastries that I won't serve after a day, and he dropped them off at the shelter on his way home after dropping me off at my dorm. I was packing up the last of my stuff tonight before moving into a new apartment closer to my coffee shop. I just finished boxing up the last of things when my phone rang. "Hi, mom," I answered. "Darion Angelina Chase, you better tell me what you are having Theodore and Marie hide from us before your fathers find out." My mom demanded in her own soft, caring way. "Mom, I'm not moving home after graduation. I started my own coffee house, and I got my own place here. Mom, please don't be mad." I answered, sitting down on the bed. "Oh honey, I'm not mad, I'm proud. You found what you want to do with your life. I can't say your fathers or brothers will be happy you are staying in New York." She told me. "Mom, one more thing," I said hesitantly. "What is it, honey?" She questioned. "Can you get rid of all the security team here? I don't need every move of mine watched. Pops and Nonna are enough to keep a decent eye on me. The twenty-five extra men watching from a distance is a bit much. I want freedom from being under the microscope all the time, mom." I pleaded. "I'll see what I can do about it, honey. They were your fathers doing." She responded. "Thanks, mom. I am going to bed now. I love you." I said. "Good night, honey. I love you." She said before I hung up and went to sleep.