4

I let Conner leave early from his shift, so it was just me at the end of the day. I called my pops, Theo, to let him know I didn't have anything to give to the shelter tonight and that I was just going to walk home. I was avoiding seeing pops and Nonna because of the large bruise on display. I had almost a dozen things that I wouldn't sell tomorrow, so I packaged them all up and poured the last of the fresh homemade lemonade into several cups. I knew I wouldn't eat all of the food, so I packaged it up and put it in three separate bags. I headed across the street to the office building that I still haven't cared to find the name of. I went through the deserted lobby to the elevator and up to the top floor.  It was deserted much like the lobby, so I made my way to Ares office. I set the drink carrier down as I knocked on his office door. I heard his approval to enter, so I opened the door slightly before grabbing the drink carrier using my foot to open the door the rest of the way.

"Dari?" I heard Ace question. "Hi. Um, I brought some food and homemade lemonade. Can you help eat the extras from today? I, um, told my pops there wasn't anything to take to the shelter tonight so I could avoid him until I could cover up the bruise I got today." I said, placing the bags down on the coffee table. "I labeled what each one.." I continued but was cut off when a third large man entered the room, and he sounded angry as he spoke on the phone, ending his call, but I didn't get a good look at him. I tried to slip out of the room as he spoke to Ace and Ares. It, of course, didn't work as I tripped on the coffee table right into the man as I smacked my face on his back.

I quickly righted myself muttering out a quiet "oops" before trying to leave once more. I was stopped by a large, thick arm around my stomach as Ares appeared in front of me. "Dari, are you alright?" Ace questioned from my side. Before I could answer, Ares was holding a pocket square handkerchief to my nose. "She has a bloody nose. Dari, why were you trying to leave in such a hurry, again?" Ares asked. I didn't know what to say exactly, so I was quiet, not wanting to say why I was leaving. "Please let me go," I said instead of answering, bringing my hand up to the handkerchief on my nose.

I was released by the man behind me as Ares eyes fell to the handprint on my bicep. "What happened?" He questioned lightly, touching my arm by the bruise. "A jerk grabbed me when I was at the club," I said, continuing with, "I should head home now. I need to get some sleep. I'm going out to dance again before work tomorrow." I just finished talking as my phone rang. I made my way out of the room and called the elevator as I answered it. "Hi, mom," I greeted. "Hi honey. I know you're probably getting ready for bed, but I just wanted to let you know your fathers agreed to pull the bodyguards. However, if they find out you got hurt in any way by your graduation, you will have five of them back." She warned me. "No being hurt from now until graduation?" I questioned. "The bodyguards are leaving at 9pm your time, honey. They are responsible for your well-being until then. After that it's all you." She said. "Thanks, mom," I stated. "Goodnight, honey. I love you." She said with warmth. "Goodnight, mom. I love you too," I returned before hanging up the phone. I walked home quickly, washing the blood from my face before falling asleep with a smile.

I woke up at midnight and quickly showered. I put on a cream colored baby doll dress that had sleeves to cover my bruised bicep. It was decorated with small pink flower clusters on it. I put a hair tie on my wrist and money in my sneaker before heading back to the club from yesterday. The energy was different today it felt like eyes were boring into my skin as I grinded with a group of girls. I was just having a good time dancing along with them until they noticed someone and started fighting over who he was checking out. I decided to go get a drink before finding a new group to dance with. Walking up to the bar, I saw the same bartender as last night. I smiled at him as I took a seat. "Do you want juice? I'm going to open a new bottle," he offered, apparently remembering my little quirk. "If you have a cup with a lid," I countered with a greatful smile. He laughed to himself before washing a sippy cup in front of me quickly. I watched as he opened a bottle of apple juice before giving me a filled cup. I sat there drinking while talking to him about what cartoon is the best in between him, filling other orders before going back to the dance floor.

I was dancing with another group of people for some time before they noticed someone watching and started fighting over who had his eye. I, on the other hand, didn't care. I just kept dancing with my eyes closed until they started freaking out some more about how he's coming.  I was annoyed, so I went to the bar once more. I sat down in front of the same bartender whose name was Ryan with a slight pout on my face. "Awe, cheer up buttercup. What's got you so sad? I'll open up another juice for you if you tell me." He offered, making me smile. "Both sets of girls I was dancing with started fighting over some guy watching them. I don't care about that. I'm just here to dance and have fun. I don't want stuck in their stupid boy drama." I said with a pout once more. "I get that. So, do you want cranberry or orange juice this time?" He asked. "Cranberry, please," I answered with a toothy smile as the seat next to me was taken. Ryan instantly pulled out a bottle of water for the man beside me before washing the sippy cup and opening the bottle of juice. He handed me the cup of juice as I placed the money down for him.

Ryan glanced at the guy next to me, who said, "A pretty little thing like yourself should let a real man pay for you." I frowned at that, leaving the money on the countertop as I drank the sippy cup of cranberry juice.  I put the empty cup on the counter and got up only to be stopped by the man next to me. "You forgot to take your money back, sweetheart," he said. "And you seem to be under the impression that I can't take care of paying for my own drinks. So Ryan can keep the money as a tip because you've just ruined the last of my fun for the morning." I said perturbed before leaving the club. I went to work early once again. So, with the extra time on my hands today, I made lemon cheesecake and triple layer chocolate turtle cake.

I had just set the last thing in the display case when Marie arrived. I left the shop after Conner arrived a few minutes later. I looked up where the same brand of handkerchief was sold in the area before going on the dreadful adventure called shopping. I couldn't find the exact color, so I bought the two closest shades. I stopped back in the coffee shop to check on how things were going. "Oh, Darion! Would you be a dear and run this to the office building across the street? A handsome fellow named Ace asked if I could drop it off, and I didn't see why not. We were a bit slow, but things picked right back up so fast." Marie rambled. I internally sighed as I picked up the bag and cup carrier.

I just walked through the lobby, taking the elevator to the top floor, and walked straight to Ares' office area. There, I left the shopping bag with his personal assistant along with a note attached to it. I then asked if he could show me to Ace's office. I was somewhat passed from one assistant to another as this girl used the intercom to inform him I was here. I was let into the office promptly, and the door was shut firmly behind me. "Thank you so much, Marie. I'll get your money in just a second." Ace said without looking up. I stayed silent, just placing the coffees and food down before I snuck out the door. I went home for the day and caught up on some much needed sleep even though it wasn't quite noon yet.