12

I got ready for the day, picking out a short light blue dress that tied behind my neck but showed most of my back a pair of white thigh-high socks and sneakers. I put some makeup on my face to cover the bruising before heading to work. I made the special for the day, a lemon cream pie, before the potential job candidate came in. The morning flew by, and the job candidate left as Marie came in for me for the rest of the afternoon to work with Connor. I made three coffees and packaged up three pieces of the lemon cream pie before I left for the day. I walked across the street and made my way to the top floor. I stopped at the floors receptionist asking for Alec. She used the intercom and stuttered while she told him that his coffee was here. She hung up with a red face as she asked me to follow her until she knocked on Alec's office door.

At his permission to enter, she opened the door, ushering me in with a scared look on her face. I had only entered the doorway when he questioned, "Dari?" As he stood up from his chair, I saw the receptionist flinch. I walked over to him, setting the coffees and bag of food down on his desk. "I wanted to say thank you for last night. I, um, didn't know which coffee was yours specifically, so I made all three; one medium roast, one dark roast, and one an iced dark roast. Your brothers get to benefit from you being so caring last night. I, um, also brought you each a piece of lemon cream pie to go with it. I'm, um, I'm also sorry for getting drunk last night. I didn't mean to. I mean, I meant to drink but not, um, not get drunk. I won't do three shots of vodka next time. I couldn't walk for like an hour. Everything was a little too spinny." I rambled.

"Breathe, poppet," Alec stated, coming around his desk to me. He looked to the door, and my eyes followed, seeing the receptionist with her jaw dropped and eyes big and bug-eyed. "Tell Ace and Ares if they want coffee, it's in my office," Alec told her in dismissal, causing her to scamper away. "I should go," I said, turning to leave. His arm wrapped loosely around my midsection as he said, "I'd like you to stay." "Which coffee is yours?" I asked, turning in his arm. He shifted his arm so now his hand was on my bare back. "Guess, poppet," he said with a smile tugging at his lips. I pouted up at him, "Tell me." "If you guess right, I'll have my brothers quit trying to get you to deliver to them," he baited me in. "And if I guess wrong?" I questioned. "I want you to sit on my lap until I'm done at the office today," he responded. "What's to say you don't grab a different coffee just to win?" I asked. "I won't touch them. We'll let my brothers reveal the winner. Does that sound fair?" Alec questioned. "Dark roast," I answered before I gave myself the option to back out. "I'm going to sit back down and work some more. Make yourself comfy somewhere here while we wait to see who the winner is." Alec instructed.

I sat nestled in the corner of the extra large couch in the corner of his office. I didn't have to wait too long as five minutes later, Ace and Ares came in each grabbing the hot coffees and taking a swig before making a face and trading them. "Why haven't you touched yours?" Ace questioned. I frowned, getting up and heading over to Alec, mumbling, "Not fair." He picked me up, sitting me across his lap with a grin saying, "Don't be a sore loser, poppet. Ace, pass me my coffee." He drank it with a smile before placing his cold hand on my back. "You brought a lemon cream pie to go with the coffee today, right?" Alec asked for confirmation. I nodded my head, yes distracted by the goosebumps going over my body from his thumb now rubbing circles on my back. "Get me something to cover her with she feels cold," Alec told to his brothers. I looked up at him, surprised. "It's always kept at a cooler temperature with us wearing long sleeves year round. I don't want you getting sick from not knowing it's too chilly in here for that beautiful dress you are wearing." Alec explained to me. "Thank you," I whispered. He raised my chin up with his fingers to look at him. "Anytime," he responded as a blanket was placed over me. I slowly relaxed in his lap, curling into his chest before my eyes slowly shut as I fell asleep.

Coming back to consciousness, I heard the brothers talking to each other, but they stopped as I moved in Alecs lap as I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. Alec's large hand rubbed my back as he questioned, "Did you sleep well, poppet?" I ignored his question and asked, "What time is it?" "It's almost 11 at night, poppet," Alec answered. "Are you still tired?" Ace asked from his seat across the desk. I shook my head, no still processing that I slept for so long in someone's lap. It took me a few seconds before I said, "I should go." Now it was Ares' turn to question, "Why are you always in such a rush to leave?" I didn't answer as I was released from Alec's hold. I scrambled up and went to the door, turning back to look at Alec, "I'm still waiting on you to show your appreciation for my help on Saturday night. I like flowers and food but I don't like eating out. If I don't know who touches something, I won't eat it. That's why I only drink from unopened bottles at the club. I also like multiples of three and organizational things." I left after I finished talking going home.