Chapter 2 Part 2: star-maker

Main Pairing: Itoshi Reina x Isagi Yoichi

Background Pairings: Potential side pairings for other Blue Lock characters TBD, but if you really want to see a specific one let me know and I can see if I can squish it in.

Disclaimer: I own none of the original characters nor plot of Blue Lock.

Warnings: Some degree of cursing, as expected with Blue Lock's foul-mouthed boys.

->=<-->=<-->=<-

Onikko

{鬼っ子}

chapter 2 part two: star-maker

->=<-->=<-->=<-

Yoichi Isagi leaves the gym, muscles sore and mind abuzz.

'This isn't enough. I need to work harder to optimize my conditioning so that my physicals can catch up to my vision.' Reviewing clips with Reina earlier this afternoon had brutally reminded Yoichi of how he was just one step away from earning a second goal during the U-20 game. 'Sai exploited my weak core to derail my opening. Just one strategic shouldering by him destroyed the opportunity I had worked so hard to create.'

As soon as Yoichi gets home, he steps into the shower. While drying his hair afterwards, he sits at his desk to watch the game. He fast-forwards to his match-up against Sae. With bitter clarity, he rewatches how the jigsaw in his mind collapsed before it reached completion. 'I could have scored a goal there if I had better agility and a stronger base. Instead, of all people, it was Barou who won the recognition from the path that I carved open.' Yoichi frowns, pausing the screen.'But really, recognizing the lanes in retrospect, there were dozens of times I should have been able to smell a goal.'

He continues to watch and rewatch various parts of the game, growing more frustrated at his own performance. Eventually he clicks pause, heaves out a sigh, and leans back in his chair. 'Watching that game now, it's so unsatisfying.' Yoichi rises from his desk to head back to the bathroom. 'All I see are ways I could have been better.' He brushes his teeth while thinking up plans for how to improve his shooting technique. 'Even though our weapons are different, maybe I can create new ways to practice shooting when I meet up with the other guys tomorrow.' He's just finished rinsing the foam out of his mouth, when he spots it in the mirror: Reina's jacket. The coat winks at him from where it hangs on the back of his bathroom door.

'Shit.' He had totally forgotten about her coat. 'Again.'

He fingers the material, feels how the soft fabric abruptly stiffens and crinkles over where the stain sits. 'The coffee's definitely settled in. Man, this is going to be a pain to get out.'

The striker grabs the soiled coat, then makes his way downstairs while opening the U-20 game on his phone. Once he enters the laundry room, he spots a familiar jug of bleach on the front shelf. It's the one he usually uses for his white Ichinan gear and uniform, but it won't work on Reina's 'cream' coat. 'Kaasan works with fabrics... so we should have something else.' He places the not-currently-useful jug of bleach back atop the counter before he opens the lower cabinets. He pulls out something called Stain-Away: for coloured fabrics, including wool and gabardine. He looks up gabardine on Coogle and nods. 'Seems like this should work.'