Chapter 5: how to burn water

Main Pairing: Itoshi Reina x Isagi Yoichi

Background pairings: Nagi x Reo, potentially others (TBD)

Disclaimer: I own none of the original characters nor plot of Blue Lock.

Warnings: cursing, references to bulling, references to racism, Yoichi having teenage boy thoughts

A/N: I forgot 17 year old's would not be able to buy real sake in Japan, and I didn't want to re-write anything, so I'm officially changing Japan's legal drinking age to 16 (like some European countries) for the purpose of this fic.

BIG

HUGE GINORMOUS THANK YOU TO MY BETA:

Alchazar

->=<-->=<-->=<-

Onikko

{鬼っ子}

chapter 5 – how to burn water

->=<-->=<-->=<-

She grabs him before he can even say hello.

"I'm paying this time," Reina hauls him towards the cash register as soon as he steps into the café.

Yoichi rolls his eyes. "You're so impatient." The striker glances down to where she latches onto him, finding himself oddly disappointed that she chose to grab his sleeve instead of his hand.

"I can't believe you've made greeting me with insults an actual thing." She pouts, with narrowed eyes and puffed-up cheeks. "It's been five days."

While she continues to ramble about manners and pesters him for his apparent lack of them, Yoichi considers her words. 'Five days...' He almost doesn't believe it. 'Has it really been just that?' The striker observes the unruly girl standing at his side. 'She feels more familiar than five days.'

The pair reach the front of the short line quickly. Other than the man paying ahead of them, only two other patrons occupy seats in the café. 'The place's vacancy is hardly surprising. Coffee isn't as popular at four fifteen in the afternoon.' Reina had texted him last night, asking him to not reach the café prior to that time since she'd be running late. So he arrived as instructed, and yet... 'seems she's already been waiting long enough to start making a mess.' He glances at the cluttered clearly-hers table in his peripheral vision. Atop all the mess, sits her laptop, spotted with a few new anime stickers. 'All still from that same show though, the one about a hero academy.' The series has been on his own 'anime to watch' list for months. 'Not like that list has gotten any shorter since starting Blue Lock. There just isn't time for that kind of useless stuff anymore. Not if I want to be the best.'

"A venti salted caramel cappuccino with half oat milk, and half almond milk base, and with two extra shots of espresso." Reina's voice draws him back to her. "Also, an extra pump of toasted vanilla, and extra foam with cinnamon sprinkled on top, please."

"No chocolate drizzle on top?" The barista asks.

The younger girl shakes her head. "Not this time, Yo-kun brought me a treat!"

Yoichi would congratulate Reina on abstaining from the unnecessary topping, if he wasn't preoccupied with fighting down the blush that sprung up his neck when Megumi-san raised an amused brow at him. "Oh really? Well, isn't that kind of him."