7. Not Very Good Company

Gemma

Reilly Argaud was getting to be a problem.

He had asked me out on Thursday, and I'd been flattered. He surely was cute enough with his blond-streaked brown hair styled in a wild, high wave on top. Gold flecked his light brown eyes and his high cheekbones added a chiseled look to his face.

The cruel set of his mouth and the arrogance in his eyes, however, had convinced me he was not the guy I wanted for my first boyfriend.

"I appreciate the interest, so thank you." My insides had squirmed with embarrassment. "But I'm not ready for a relationship so soon after having my world turned upside down."

He'd raised his eyebrows in surprise and walked off in a snit, and I'd thought the matter would end there. That night, I'd asked Gigi about him, and she had cautioned me to keep my distance because he was a player who didn't treat girls right.

I shuddered. Definitely not the type I wanted to associate with or encourage. And it was obvious - at least to me - that he'd only asked me because he thought the new girl would be easy prey.

On Friday, he'd cornered me in the hallway and asked me out again. This time, he insinuated that I was too stupid to realize the honor he was granting me.

Shocked, I'd given him another polite, "No, thank you."

He'd snarled and stormed off, and I figured he wouldn't bother me again.

My run of bad luck continued, though, when I stepped out of the gym on Monday and he backed me into a corner.

He had two friends with him. I knew their names, Travis Peale and Whit Anderson, but little else about them. As Reilly demanded my attention, they stood like soldiers, one at each shoulder. Whit had the same malevolent air as Reilly, but Travis didn't. His head hung down and he didn't look at me.

"For the third time, no, thank you." I made my voice as firm as possible while I shook inside. "As I said before, I'm still trying to sort things out in my head. I'm not ready to try a relationship. Now, I'd appreciate it if you'd give me space."

Instead of doing as I asked, Reilly took a step closer and Whit followed him. Travis, on the other hand, stayed on the fringe, making a gap in our tense circle. My eyes flashed to his face.

Is he trying to help me?

He jerked his chin up and flicked his eyes from me to the opening and back.

He is! Why is he friends with a jerk like Reilly?

While I stood there thinking that instead of fleeing, Reilly snapped his head over to glare at Travis, who shuffled closer and closed the gap.

That was weird. It's almost like Reilly—

"Good morning, everyone!" Jax Kosta chirped from behind us.

The three boys turned to look at him, and he put a hand on Whit's shoulder. Rusty orange power coated Whit, who took a step back, and Jax grabbed my hand.

"No hogging Gemma!" he grinned. "We need her to make up the numbers for doubles tennis."

And he led me away from them as he chattered on about his terrible serve.

I gripped his hand, my mind a blur of confusion.

"Are you okay, Gems?" Jax turned dead serious as soon as we left the gym and headed toward the outdoor tennis courts.

"He keeps finding me." I hated that my voice trembled. "He won't take no for an answer. Why does he think harassing me is going to make me say yes?"

Jax stopped walking and turned, putting a hand on each of my shoulders. His usually cheerful face was stern and a faint orange glow backlit his eyes.