33. You Dumb Boy

Kerry

I never paid much attention to holidays. After Mom died, what was the point? My last foster mother had tried, but I was so far gone by then that nothing had registered beyond gratitude for her kindness and care. As Halloween came closer, though, I couldn't ignore the air of excitement as the campus came alive with foam tombstones, fake skeletons, and costumes.

And pranks. No one tried any on me, which was a good thing, but Jax was a frequent target. It was a lesson in social graces for me as I watched him take it - and pay it back - with his usual good humor.

He said the annual pumpkin carving contest was one of his favorite events. This year's top prize was tickets to some concert. Gigi was especially interested because her favorite band would be there, and Jax wanted one of us to win so she could go.

Which was how I found myself staring at half a dozen pumpkins Sunday afternoon while he stood by with a tray of carving tools. Gemma and Chessie covered my kitchen table with a sheet of plastic, then everyone dove into gutting the pumpkins.

My job, apparently, was to come up with award-winning designs.

On top of that, the girls started talking about costumes ideas for a dance on Friday night. As I listened, I started to get a bad feeling and wondered if I would be expected to go to that, too.

Jax's grin said I was.

"You can't escape it," he chirped.

"Escape what?" I was only half paying attention to him as I racked my brain for ideas on how to say no to Gemma Shepherd.

"Life."

I grunted and watched the girls carry the pumpkins over to the sink to rinse them out.

"I dunno why you're relying on me," I grumbled. "I've never carved a pumpkin in my life, not even when I was a kid."

"You didn't do Halloween?"

"Yeah, we did, but my mom always painted the pumpkins. She was an artist."

"Well, you're an artist, too." He patted my shoulder, and I swatted his hand away with a growl.

"No touching! Well, what sorta designs were you thinking?"

"I dunno. Whatever will win the contest."

Chessie plunked one of the damp pumpkins on the table and I reached out to touch it, testing the texture and thickness.

"I want something pretty," Gemma called from the sink.

Gigi and Chessie said they did, too.

"Pretty?!" Jax looked outraged. "It's Halloween! Ghosts. Ghouls. Goblins. Blood and guts. Rawrrr!"

He raised his arms over his head, hooked his fingers into claws, and lunged at Gigi, who fake-screamed.

I rolled my eyes, but Gemma dried her hands, came over to me, and leaned down so we were face to face. I had enough sense to keep my mouth shut.

"I. Want. Something. Pretty," she repeated.

"I heard you the first time." I cleared my throat. "But you'll have to give me some ideas. Pretty isn't something I have much experience with."

She straightened up and pulled out her phone and, next thing I knew, her soft backside was parked on my leg.

My brain went blank. I looked around for Jax, but his face was planted in Gigi's neck. No help there.

Okay, I can do this. I've held her before.

I eased my arm around her waist. She was so tiny, my hand ended up on her other hip. She musta liked it, though, because she half-turned and smiled at me. Our eyes met, and I forgot where I was and what I was supposed to be doing.