31. Same One As Always

Kerry

Saturday night, I finally worked up enough courage to ask a question that had been bothering me for a long time.

"Hank, you said you were one of the wardens who brought me to the Sanctuary that night, right?"

"Yes. After I got the call from the outpost, I started tracking you. August Richter and Gina Weatherbee were with me."

"Did you see what I did to Gemma?"

"Not really. We caught up with you right as she zapped you. Gina and I pulled you off of her so August could start healing her."

I shifted my eyes to the salt shaker on the counter.

"How bad did I hurt her, Hank?"

"You sure you want to know?"

#

In the wee hours of the morning, I woke up with a scream. Panting, I sat up and swung my legs over the edge of the bed, planting my feet on the floor and resting my elbows on my knees. Then I buried my sweaty face in my palms as images flashed behind my eyelids.

Gemma lying on a dark sidewalk.

Gemma covered in blood, her body broken.

Gemma dying as the demon inside me howled.

My stomach rolled and I dove for the bathroom, barely making it before I emptied my gut. When I was sure it was over, I stood and rinsed my mouth out, chugged a glass of the sweet-tasting water, and washed my face.

I looked at myself in the mirror and found the same bloodshot eyes I saw after every one of these nightmares.

Chessie can't finish that freaking ward soon enough.

I staggered back to the bedroom, yanked off my damp pajamas, and pulled on a red t-shirt and a pair of black workout pants. Most nights, I gave up on sleep and went running, but tonight's episode had been pretty bad. I didn't think a run was going to cut it. As I dug around for a pair of socks and shoes, I glanced at the clock.

3:15.

I hated to wake her up, but I needed to hear her voice. Even if it only told me to shut up and let her sleep, even though the logical side of my brain told me I was acting like an idiot, I needed to hear it to convince myself she was okay.

I picked up my phone even as I hated myself for being so weak. It rang eight times before she answered.

"Kerry? What's wrong?"

"I need to see you."

"Okay," she said on a yawn. "Do you want me to meet you somewhere?"

"No! It's the middle of the night, idiot! I don't want you going out alone in the dark. I'll come to you."

I slapped my hand over my face.

I called her an idiot.

"Then I'll wait for you in the lobby."

Her voice sounded sleepy and guilt rode me hard, but I was too worked up to be selfless and let her go back to bed.

"I'll be there in five," I agreed and hung up.

#

Gemma

I waited inside the entryway, drowsily leaning against the wall as I struggled to keep my eyes open. Apparently, my effort was less than successful because the next thing I knew, there was a tap on the glass door. I blinked, saw Kerry's white face, and quickly pushed the lock bar open for him. He entered in a rush, panting and shaking while his wild eyes looked me up and down as if searching for injuries.