21. Sympathy

Kerry

The next Monday, I felt stable enough to extend my school day, so I went with Gemma to her power focus class. I was glad I did because I saw a whole other side of her. She tuned out all distractions as if driven to learn as much as she could as fast as she could.

It was a little intimidating, to be honest.

I mean, I could be intense at times, too, but never about school stuff. This was her area of expertise, so it made sense, but it kinda made me jealous. Sure, she worked hard in all of our classes, but she still checked on me during lectures and stuff when we had to be quiet. Now that I didn't have it, I realized how much of her attention she usually gave me.

Feeling left out, I leaned down and whispered, "Hey," in her ear.

She didn't even pause in her note-taking. She just reached up with her free hand and pushed my face away, almost sticking a finger up my nostril.

Well, dang. My mouth stretched into a stupid grin without any permission from me.

For a second, I marveled that I wasn't mad. In the past, I woulda blown up over her touching me, let alone ignoring me.

Small steps, I reminded myself. And at least I can stare at her all I want and she won't notice.

Some girls behind us giggled. I looked over my shoulder and saw they were watching us. I shoulda growled and given them a dark glare to send them scurrying for cover, but I let them get away with it. It would upset Gemma if she found out. Plus, she'd told me once that I didn't need to prove how big and bad I was because she already knew. All these little healers already knew, too; I didn't need to frighten them when they were no threat.

At the end of class, I decided I'd try evil recognition next. I felt pretty chill, it sounded interesting, and I wasn't ready to say goodbye to Gemma yet.

Soon as I walked into the classroom, the teacher, Mr. Snyder, motioned me back into the hallway.

How could I be in trouble already?

"We watch video footage, examine photographs and other evidence, and look at live specimens from time to time," he told me. "If any of it triggers you, I want you to leave the room. Don't ask. Just go."

"Thanks." I shuffled my feet and rubbed the back of my neck with one hand. "As long as I can sit by Gemma, I think I'll be fine. She ... keeps me calm."

It was hard enough to admit to myself, let alone tell other people.

"Hank told me." Mr. Snyder put his hands behind his back and rocked on his heels as he looked up at me. "Interesting, no?"

"I guess. Hey, are you the one who has my demon? Hank said a warden named Snyder has it in a pyx."

"I did, but now it's locked away in the Council's high-security vault."

"Good."

I didn't know what else to say and he musta been finished, too, because he ushered me back through the door.

I scanned the room until I spotted red hair. She'd saved the seat between her and John Morgen, and I breathed a sigh of relief. While I didn't know Morgen all that well, he was one of Jax's friends, and he'd kept Gemma safe in Fight Club a time or two. I could stand sitting next to him for an hour.

Probably.

Mr. Snyder was starting a unit on Diabolical creatures. We would learn about the most common types first, then rank them according to threat level.

"Please remember that the size of a creature does not equal its abilities or its strength." He looked around the room. "The smallest imp can do as much damage as a man-sized wight, given enough time and the right circumstances."