22. Just a Misunderstanding

Kerry

When I got to school the next morning, I found three girls waiting in the hall. Just like always, I waved and they smiled at me. After we were in our seats, I forced myself to look at Gemma.

"Sorry I had to skip out yesterday."

"I understood." She smiled. "John was upset when I explained what you thought he'd meant. He wanted to go after you and apologize, but I convinced him it was a bad idea."

My stupid brain began flashing images of exactly what would have happened if Morgen had followed me home. I dropped my head into my hands.

"Kerry? Are you okay?"

I lifted my head and looked at her, and she flinched as she met my eyes.

Good. Let her see exactly what I am. Let her run screaming. Better now than later. Better I scare her away before What? Before what?

I squeezed my eyes closed as I called myself the worst names, all of which I knew I deserved and more.

Don't go there. Don't you dare.

"Kerry? What's wrong?" Now she sounded upset.

"Don't get worked up, angel." I opened my eyes. "You are such a crybaby!"

"But you looked—"

"Devastated," Chessie filled in.

"What were you thinking about?" Gigi wanted to know.

"Something dumb." I straightened up in my seat and flattened my hands on the desk. "Sorry. Don't worry about it. I'm fine."

"Well, we do worry about you, whether you say you're fine or not, because you're mostly not and we know it," Gigi said. "So let us be there for you. That's what friends do."

Gemma didn't say anything, but her fingers inched next to my hand. She was careful not to touch, even though I could see in her face she wanted to. Too bad I couldn't even try while I was this nervy.

Well, maybe I can. She gives and gives and asks for nothing in return.

I inched my pinkie finger over until the tip of it touched hers, and her eyes flashed to mine. Encouraged, I wrapped my little finger around hers and squeezed, careful to be gentle.

What I saw in her eyes made my chest get tight.

She knows. She knows what it means.

Gigi cleared her throat and looked at me with raised eyebrows, like she expected something.

"Forget it, Tennessee. You can get your hugs from Jax."

She stuck her tongue out at me, and I made an ugly face back.

"We understand, don't we, Chess?" Gigi wore a smug smile. "You like Gemma more than us. You don't have to hide it."

My face burned and I crossed my arms over my chest. I was never so grateful for a teacher starting class as I was right then.

As Ms. Weatherbee lectured, I risked a glance at Gemma. The girl was smiling, her eyes far away, and I wondered if she'd even heard Gigi's comment.

Probably not. If she had, she wouldn't look like that. She'd look closer to horrified.

Wouldn't she?

#

Morgen stood outside the boys' locker room door and watched me as we walked up. Gemma's eyes bounced from his face to mine, but as long as he didn't push me, she had nothing to worry about.