𝔾ummy bears save the day

Silence pounded in Nicki's ears. For a second, she was tempted to follow the group, but something caught her eye. A small bottle labelled Multivitamins.

Cautiously, Nicki pried the container open. Inside, a handful of brightly coloured gummies were shaped like Hydra, Minotaur, and other monsters. The rest of the writing on the bottle was blacked out , but as Nicki traced her finger over it, the words became legible.

Hermes' Multivitamins! One of your 5-a-day! Choose the creature you need help from, and take a chew!

"Is there one for psychotic witch princess?" Nicki muttered, tipping the bottle onto her palm. A purple Empousa stared back at her. "Best I'm gonna get," she sighed, tossing the gummy vitamin into her mouth. The taste of grape filled her mouth and she smiled. She loved grape.

Gingerly, Nicki held her hand out in front of her. Purple flames flickered around her hand, coating her face in a bright glow. "Best grandfather ever!"

An unknown fog seemed to clear in her brain and Nicki let out a gasp. "Medea! How didn't I get that?"

She raced for the elevator, slamming on the call button repeatedly. "I don't have time for this!" Taking a hasty breath, Nicki turned to face the railing.

She squeezed the vitamin bottle into her sling. "I hope you worked."

With a running jump, Nicki kept over the railing and plummeted towards the ground. "Hades' asshole!" she screamed.

Screwing her eyes shut, Nicki prayed to whoever was listening that her shield would work. She didn't have to wait long to find out, as a second later she bounced off of the floor like a human bouncy ball. Nicki continued to bounce off of the floor behind Piper and Medea. The three boys stared at her in shock, but Piper and Medea were too busy quarrelling to notice.

The fountain turned bright red. Piper drew her dagger, but her hand was shaking almost too badly to hold it. "Jason, Leo, Ethan— it's time to go. Now."

"Before you've closed the deal?" Medea asked. "What of your quest, boys? And my price is so easy. Did you know this fountain is magic? If a dead man were to be thrown into it, even if he was chopped to pieces, he would pop back out fully formed—stronger and more powerful than ever."

"Seriously?" Leo asked.

"Leo, she's lying," Piper said. "She did that trick with somebody before—a king, I think. She convinced his daughters to cut him to pieces so he could come out of the water young and healthy again, but it just killed him!"

"Ridiculous," Medea said, and Piper could hear the power charged in every syllable. "Leo, Jason—my price is so simple. Why don't you two fight? If you get injured, or even killed, no problem. We'll just throw you into the fountain and you'll be better than ever. You do want to fight, don't you? You resent each other!"

"Guys, no!" Piper said. But they were already glaring at each other, as if it was just dawning on them how they really felt. Ethan began to walk toward the fountain, as if he was stuck in a trance.

Nicki scrambled to her feet, her adventure as a bouncy ball ending. Her fingers sparked in anticipation.

Leo scowled. "Jason's always the star. He always gets the  attention and takes me for granted."

"You're annoying, Leo," Jason said. "You never take
anything seriously. You can't even fix a dragon."

Purple hands clamped themselves over the boys mouths. A third streak of purple wrapped itself around Ethan, preventing him from tossing himself into the fountain.

"Stop!" Piper pleaded, but both drew weapons—Jason his gold sword, and Leo a hammer from his tool belt.

"Let them go, Piper," Medea urged. "I'm doing you a favor. Let it happen now, and it will make your choice so much easier. Enceladus will be pleased. You could have your father back today!"