𝕊econd-in-command sucks

Nicki clutched the magic paper in her grasp for support. She was stood in front of the established Titan Army, including 86 demigods and a scattered handful of monsters.

"Luke is away on the Princess Andromeda meaning you are under me." Nicki's voice wavered.

She was not a big fan of addressing the army, of which she was double-crossing, as their acting command.

Her grip tightened on her magic paper.  The last message from Percy was still scribbled onto the white sheet from a few days prior.

- Leaving now, no promises I won't do anything stupid but I promise to come home :)

Well, words to that effect but with a lot more spelling mistakes.

"Says who?" a voice hidden at the back of the meeting hall called.

Nicki's jaw tightened and the lights flickered ominously as tendrils of purple snaked their grasp around them.

The meeting room's door slammed shut as Nicki's fingers sparked. "Says me, if you have a problem, take it up with Luke or leave."

The army fell completely silent. 97 eyes stared back at Nicki.

"Okay then. Luke has a plan to launch an attack on Camp Half-Blood as soon as he..." Nicki sucked in a shaky breath. "As soon as he hosts Lord Kronos. So we need to increase our training and preparations."

Murmurs floated around the Meeting Hall as the teenagers shifted awkwardly. They knew the end goal, but no one was prepared for it to reach the point of attack.

"Camp Half-Blood have launched a quest into the Labyrinth. When Luke returns some of you may be asked to accompany him down there."

Ethan's head appeared around the dark door. He cleared his throat loudly. "Sorry to interrupt. Nicki, you're sorta needed."

Nicki hesitated. Her gaze flickered across the expectant faces of the demigods in front of her. "Can it wait?"

Ethan shook his head stiffly. He looked ready to throw up and Nicki didn't feel very inclined to clean up after him. "Not really, no."

"Right, okay." Nicki nodded, dusting off her oversized hoodie. "I'll be back in a minute. Tara, can you get everyone to make a training plan for me to revise?"

The slender girl nodded curtly. "Yes, ma'am."

"Great. Please don't break anything while I'm gone or Luke will kill me."

"Nicki!"

The girl hurried toward Ethan, sensing the urgency in his voice. She pulled the heavy wood shut behind her to avoid being overheard.

"What's wrong?" Ethan said nothing. He turned and began jogging down the dark corridors. "Wha— Ethan?" Nicki skidded around the corner in her fluffy socks, trying to keep up with the taller boy.

Green fires burned in braziers along the walls. The floor was polished black marble. A cold wind blew down the hallway, and above them through the open ceiling, the sky swirled with grey storm clouds. She narrowly avoided slamming into the courtyard doors, slipping through to keep pace with Ethan.

The courtyard was eerily silent. Someone was meant to be leading the recruits in their training, yet the air was still. The mountain seemed to be holding its breath, waiting.

Nicki immediately found out what it was waiting for when a piercing scream sounded from the far side of the large courtyard. The 13 recruits were huddled in the back corner, staring at something on the ground.