𝕊tatues galore

There were hugs and greetings all around... or at least Thalia was friendly. She did stay attached at the hip with Nicki the whole time, however. The other Hunters didn't like being around campers, especially boys, but they didn't shoot anyone, which for them was a pretty warm welcome.

"Where have you been the last year?" Percy asked Thalia. "You've got like twice as many Hunters now!"

She laughed. "Long, long story. I bet my adventures were more dangerous than yours, Jackson."

"Complete lie," Percy said.

Thalia laughed, nudging Nicki's side softly. "Clearly, he's never been in a car with you and Ethan."

"Hey! We weren't that bad."

"Jackson, imagine this for me. A darkening backroad in Salem, Ash's going 80 or more, and Ethan's in the backseat. Now, this part is crucial, he is on aux. Country blaring out of the speakers louder than I can think, and Nicki is giving 110% of a performance."

Nicki shook her head, unable to hide the grin on her lips. "I would like to add in my defence: Sparky sang along to Should've Said No louder than me."

Thalia gasped. She spun to face Nicki with an aghast look. "How could you?"

"You started it!" Nicki turned to Percy for protection. "Tell her she started it."

"And anger her right now? No thank you." He laughed, smiling brightly down at Nicki. "You're on your own."

"Perseus!"

Thalia laughed. Nicki couldn't help the proud smile that slipped onto her face. She really did miss Thalia. "After this is over, you, Nicki, and me: cheeseburgers and fries at that hotel on West 56th."

"Le Parker Meridien," Percy said. "You're on."

Nicki shifted her weight between her feet awkwardly. Her eyes danced to the blonde standing right behind Percy. She was seemingly enwrapped in whatever she was talking to Katie about, but Nicki noticed the way her shoulders dropped at Thalia's comment.

"Could I bring Annabeth too?" The words had tumbled from Nicki's mouth before she had really thought them through. Annabeth spun round immediately. Her eyes brightened as she stared at Nicki.

The brunette looked away from Annabeth, slightly uncomfortable by the intensity of her gaze.

The daughter of Zeus shrugged, "Yeah, of course, if she wants to."

"Yes! I'd love to."

Percy smiled down at Nicki. Something like pride bubbled in his stomach. "Well, that settles that then. And Thalia?" The girl glanced up from where she was fixing Nicki's sling. "Thank you."

She laughed. "Those monsters won't know what hit them. Hunters, move out!" Thalia placed a hasty kiss on the top of Nicki's head. "Be good."

She slapped her silver bracelet, and the shield Aegis spiralled into full form. The golden head of Medusa moulded in the centre was so horrible, the campers all backed away. The Hunters took off down the avenue, followed by their wolves and falcons, and Nicki had a feeling the Lincoln Tunnel would be safe for now.

"When amn't I good," Nicki muttered, half scowling as she stared after Thalia. "My grandmother liking her has gone to her head."

"Thank the gods for Thalia," Annabeth said. "But if we don't blockade the rivers from those boats, guarding the bridges and tunnels will be pointless."

"You're right," Percy said.

Percy looked at the campers, all of them grim and determined. He tried not to feel like this was the last time he'd ever see them all together.