𝔸phrodite for one

Nicki slid into the limo, a grimace on her face.  Aphrodite smiled back at her. She was wearing a red satin dress and her hair was curled in a cascade of ringlets. Perfect makeup, dazzling eyes, a smile that would've lit up the dark side of the moon.

"Ah, there you are," the goddess said. "I am Aphrodite."

"I know." Nicki smiled awkwardly, waving.

"Do you know why you're here?" she asked.

Nicki shrugged. "I'm assuming you'll tell me."

Aphrodite raised a perfect eyebrow. A small sincere smile twitched at her lips. "I see why they like you."

"People have been telling me that a lot, recently."

"Now listen," Aphrodite said. "The Hunters are your enemies. Forget them and Artemis and the monster. That's not important."

"Excuse me?"

Aphrodite waved her hand irritably. "It's been ages since we've had a good tragic love story."

"Whoa, first of all, I never said anything about love. And second, what's up with tragic! And third, what?"

"Love conquers all," Aphrodite promised. "Look at Helen and Paris. Did they let anything come between them?"

"Didn't they start the Trojan War and get thousands of people killed?"

"Pfft. That's not the point. Follow your heart."

Nicki's eyebrows were practically in her hairline. "My heart is telling me I don't want to be here."

"Think about it. Do you love Bianca?"

"Not like that. No. I'm 14!" Nicki stumbled over her words, finding the leather seats very interesting.

"You did. For what you knew it to be. There's nothing wrong with having loved her."

Nicki swallowed hard, tears welling in her eyes. She seemed to be crying a lot. "I don't anymore. I'm just so confused."

Aphrodite smiled sympathetically. She really was beautiful. And not just because she had a pretty face or anything. She believed in love so much, it was impossible not to feel giddy when she talked about it.

"That's okay. You don't need to know everything all the time. Just let things go how they go naturally. Let your heart take control."

"But... I don't know where it's going. My heart, I mean."

"Not knowing is half the fun," Aphrodite said. "Exquisitely painful, isn't it? Not being sure who you love and who loves you?" Aphrodite's eyes were tearing up. "Oh, you kids!"

"I just, I can't love someone knowing what I know."

Aphrodite smiled, resting a hand on Nicki's shoulder. "Love can be stronger in 2 years than in a lifetime, Phoenix. Who knows, maybe I've recently seen someone who is just as confused over you, as you are with them."

The car door opened, cutting Nicki's conversation short. Ares picked her up, pulling her out of the car and back into the desert night. He placed her down slightly lighter than Percy.

When she looked up again, the limousine was gone. The road, the taco restaurant, the whole town of Gila Claw was gone. They were standing in the middle of the junkyard, mountains of scrap metal stretched out in every direction.

"What did she want with you?" Bianca asked once Percy told them about Aphrodite.

"Oh, uh, not sure," Percy lied. "She said to be careful in her husband's junkyard. She said not to pick anything up."