Past's Present

The day had grown dark. The clouds hiding any light the sun tried to shine. There was no happiness that it could bring. Instead, the sky mourned with them on the day in which they all came together. They wore nothing but black, watching the casket get lowered into the ground in silence. Somber music played while silent tears fell down their faces.

He wished that he were allowed to speak. Skaal's anger mixed with his, creating a rage that nothing could compete with. He was but a boy in the world's eyes, yet he felt as though he had grown eons old in just one night.

"I need to speak to you, my son," his father had told him. It was the day after her death. While the whole pack mourned for their luna's death, the Alpha had been keeping himself to his room the entire time. He would not come out unless it was to give out an order.

Jim followed him eagerly, surprised that he would come to him to see him. He could have just mind linked with him and he would meet him in his room, but that was besides the matter. Jim had never seen his father so quiet, with shoulders slumped low. He did not know just how badly this would affect him. All he could do was pray for the best.

"I'm already on the lookout for that hunter," Jim told him as soon as the door was shut. "It shouldn't take long before we can get our revenge."

"Good," the figure spoke before collapsing back into his recliner. His room was massive. They used to even have their own Christmas tree in that room so that Jim and Will could open their presents just with them. His mother was upset the year they decided that they wanted to do everything with the whole pack.

His mother...

"I'll find who did this, father," Jim assured him. "And when I do, there will be no mercy."

It was petty that a hunter stooped low enough to kill a Luna. If he had any respect for himself, he would have just challenged his father. But no. The coward wouldn't even show his face. Jim would make sure that he paid for his crimes. His mother was innocent. And no one should take the life of the innocent.

"I'm glad that you have that fighting spirit still in you, Jim," his father spoke slowly, as if his tongue was getting tired of moving. He had been tired a lot lately. "You are the oldest. I hate to put all of this on you. No one your age should have this much stress put on his shoulders."

"I can handle it," he told him, straightening his back. He had trained hard his whole life. He can take the brunt of the responsibilities right now. It dipped into his schoolwork, but he was able to still keep his grades up. He had to. Failure in anything was not an option, even if his heart pained over what had happened. Jim was strong. With Skaal, they could make it through this. They had made it through everything else together.

"I'm afraid you're going to have to for a while."

"Take as long as you need, Dad," Jim told him. "Whatever you need to do to heal, do it. I can take care of the pack until you are strong again."

"I'm not going to be strong again, Jimmy," his father's voice cracked a little. Just as Jim felt like he had aged from this, his father sounded like he had. No longer was he the man that laughed and joked with him. Now he was nothing but a frail old man, getting weaker the longer time went on. "There's something that I need to tell you."

"Okay," he took a seat on one of the chairs that were there. There was a sinking feeling in his stomach, but that was ignored. He didn't have time to feel emotions like these. He needed to focus on what his dad had to say. Whatever it was, he knew it was going to stay with him for the rest of his life.

"You know how important our mates are," his father started. "For us, they are our strength. They are half of our soul, combining with us to form a bond stronger than any other. Together with your mate, you are strong. But when they are no longer with you, then they become your greatest weakness.'