4. The Reality

"Before you say anything, I just want to let you know that I was threatened."

     I looked up just as Felix pulled out a chair, sitting and laying his head down on the table beside me. I quickly looked up from the notes I was taking to watch him bury his face in his arms.

"What's up, traitor?"

"I said I was threatened!"

I struggled to hide my grin at his desperate tone. His arms tightened around his head like he was doing everything in his power to hide himself from me. To be fair, that's probably exactly was he was trying to do.

I sighed, placing my binder and notes on the table and leaning back in my chair. I playfully scoffed, folding my arms over my chest. "And what would said 'threat' be?"

Felix's voice was muffled. "You'll laugh."

"What? No!"

"Yes you will."

"I really won't!"

"You always do!"

"Lix, I won't laugh, just tell me."

Felix lifted his head slightly, his eyes the only thing visible over his crossed arms. "Promise?"

I nodded.

He gave a long sigh as he rested his cheek on his arms. "Remember when you got really sick a couple of years ago and I had to take over your shift?"

I raised an eyebrow. "You mean when I was in the hospital for the stupid stomach virus and you had to sprint from swim practice to the cafe for weeks?"

"Yes." Felix shifted again as he sat up, running his hands down his face. "I uh—I didn't tell you everything that happened when I took your shift."

     He looked at me with a sheepish smile. I turned my body in the chair to face more toward him, now suddenly very interested.

     Felix raised his hands in defense at the amusement on my face. "See? You're already laughing!"

     "I am not!" I bit my lip to control myself. "I'm just trying to imagine what you could have possibly done so bad that you've kept it a secret for 2 years."

     "I already regret this."

     "No no, you started the story now. Let's hear it."

     A light pink dusted Felix's cheeks as he groaned. "Fine! I'll get it over with." He looked anywhere but at me as he began to speak. "As I was saying, you were in the hospital and I had to take over your shift because Minho would be the only one working, and because we're related I'm somehow obligated to help."

     I nodded as he continued. "Well, I still didn't know the language very well then, and Minho was baking so I had to take orders—"

     "Don't tell me you cursed out somebody...."

     Felix ran his hands down his face. "Worse."

     Now I raised my eyebrows. How funny—sorry, bad—was this going to be?

     "There was a group of girls there, and I think they were flirting with me but I couldn't really understand them. I felt like was doing okay until this one girl asked me what my favorite side dish was, and I must have misheard her because—"

     Felix cut himself off, burying his face in his hands, and mumbled something I couldn't make out.

     I tilted my head. "What did you say?"