𝟏𝟔

𝗢𝗠𝗡𝗜𝗦𝗖𝗜𝗘𝗡𝗧

Ivy Marlene
📍Bronx, New York: 2020

Ivy thanked her driver before leaving the warm taxi to be met with a downpour of rain

Ivy thanked her driver before leaving the warm taxi to be met with a downpour of rain. She tip toed around the large puddle and grimaced at the sight of her now-wet Uggs. Luckily for her, she merely had to walk about ten steps before she was at the main entrance of the hospital. Taking quick glances on her phone, she found her way to correct floor, making her way down the halls until she set eyes on the boy staring sombrely at the ceiling.

"That was quicker than I expected." Malachai faintly smiled.

"I told you I don't got nothing else to do." Ivy replied. "Can we go inside?"

Malachai nodded and slowly opened the door to his grandma's room. She showed no movement yet looked peaceful.

"I know it don't look it but she's good right now." Malachai pulled out chairs for them to both sit.

Despite the smile that sat on his face since Ivy came his change in demeanour was evident - the situation was taking a toll on him.

"She just looks like that cause the treatment knocked her ass out, she'll be up soon tho. You really helped Ivy."

"That's great to hear! You can leave that street shit alone and focus on yourself now."

Malachai stared at her briefly and hysterically laughed before Ivy shushed him to not wake his grandmother.

"Why would I do that? I still don't have a job. Even if I did, if it's not payin' me more than what the streets do then what's the point."

"There's also no point in doing something that could get you locked up, or killed. Then what's she gonna do?" Ivy pointed towards the hospital bed.

"Well that's not gonna happen." He brushed off. "Oh yeah I was gonna ask, you free on Friday?"

"Not really, why? Aren't you going to Tey's birthday party."

"I gotta make a trip this Friday and my grandma's getting discharged Thursday, can you watch her for me?"

"You want be to help you be a hoodlum? No thank you."

"I'm serious Vee. I gotta do this, and I would usually let her stay alone but it's gonna be her first day outta hospital so she can't take her meds by herself. Please it's not for the whole day, I'll be back by 9 so you can go to the party."

Ivy thought briefly before deciding she could spare a few hours before leaving on Friday. "Okay fine, but let this be the only time."

"Heard you."

The two sat speaking for another 40 minutes before Ivy decided to leave. Unfortunately, Malachai's grandma remained asleep and wasn't able to directly speak with Ivy however he still let her know how grateful his grandma had been for her help.