𝟏𝟕

𝗢𝗠𝗡𝗜𝗦𝗖𝗜𝗘𝗡𝗧

📍Bronx, New York: 2020

Stepping off the bus, Malachai snuck a quick glance at his phone to confirm he was at the right spot. Much to his disadvantage it was peak rush hour time where people were either rushing to work or kids were rushing to school. Hesitantly, he manoeuvred his way through a packed basketball court until he eventually settled in an alley across the road.

He was about 5 minutes away from Courtlandt, it wasn't too far from home. Yet his eyes shot back and forth and his body remained tense - this was one if those trips he wished he didn't have to make. Malachai took pride in how he's been able to remain neutral and out of trouble despite his 'gang ties', it was one of the reasons they felt safe sending him specifically out to certain places. Despite this, being both young and black in the Bronx, he knew he could always fall victim to violence, either intentionally or accidentally.

His attention shifted towards the growing footsteps that came towards him before he set eyes on a tall figure. Although sunlight lit up the area, the man's eyes remained dark and his face hard to recognize.

"Blanko?" Malachai asked, which prompted the man to take a few steps closer as he nodded.

The man began reaching in his pocket, pulling out his phone along with a stack of cash. "You got it?"

Malachai nodded and dug into his bag. After around 10 seconds he found what he needed and reached for the cash, only for it to be moved away.

"Hold on I gotta count it." The man insisted.

Leaning back on the wall, Malachai watched as he went through each note painfully slow. The man also seemed tense and wary of his surroundings, yet that was understandable as the area was busy. Malachai tried to hide his impatience and remain calm however, the stalling was obvious. This confused him, seeing as the man had more than enough money.

"This should be it." The man brung the money towards him.

Just as Malachai was about to take it another set of footsteps grew louder, however they were faster than the man's. Before Malachai had the chance to turn around he felt himself get shoved onto the nearby wall.

"What the fuck!" Malachai frantically shouted as he watched a group of 5 masked men surround him.

"Strip him!" One of them yelled. Before he knew it the group dug into his pockets taking everything he had on him.

Suddenly he felt himself be knocked back as the group began beating him. "Chill I'm not on that!" He pleaded.

"Nah who is this? Them niggas sent a store runner." One of the men pulled his hair up to get a clear view of his now bloody face.

"Let's dip."

The group shoved Malachai's belongings in their pockets and started to run off.

"Nah hold on." One of the men spoke stepping in front of Malachai. "Ya niggas come back!"

"Yo buddy leave him."

"I seen him before."

The group slowly made their way back clutching their straps before they were stopped. "Chill out I'm tryna see something."