11. Rules and traditions

Olivia

Finding myself in the kitchen at 6 o'clock a day after my arrival at Logan's family house is the last thing I expected to happen to me. My sleep from last night to morning was like a one hour nap.

I couldn't help but feel a bit confused. The maid had said my attention was needed at the kitchen, but now it seemed like there was no one around. I glanced at the clock on the wall, confirming that it was indeed 6 o'clock in the morning. It was still early, and I wondered why I had been called to the kitchen at this time.

Feeling a mix of curiosity and apprehension, I decided to explore the kitchen a bit more. Perhaps someone would show up soon and shed some light on why I was summoned here. As I walked around, I noticed the neatly arranged pots and pans, the gleaming countertops, and the faint aroma of freshly brewed coffee lingering in the air. It was a well-maintained and organized kitchen, reflecting the grandeur of the mansion.

I took a seat at the island in the center of the kitchen, hoping that someone would come in soon. The silence was unnerving, and my mind began to wander. What could be so urgent that required my presence here? Was there some task or responsibility assigned to me? Questions swirled in my mind, and I couldn't shake off the feeling of uncertainty.

Just as I was starting to wonder if I had misunderstood the maid's message, the sound of footsteps approached the kitchen. I turned my head to see one of the women from yesterday, her gaze fixed on me. "Um... Good morning," I stammered, trying to maintain my composure.

She assessed me from head to toe, her eyes lingering on my abdomen. Confusion washed over me as I wondered why she was looking at me like that. "You're pregnant," she stated matter-of-factly. My heart skipped a beat, and a chill ran down my spine as her words sank in.

I instinctively held onto the counter to steady myself. "Sorry?... I don't understand," I managed to croak, my voice coming out hoarse with disbelief.

A faint smile tugged at the corner of her lips as she walked closer to me. "The moment you stepped into the house, I noticed. And no, I'm not a witch. I'm a doctor. It was easy to guess. Let's say I have that ability," she explained, her tone filled with a hint of amusement.

My mouth hung open in shock. I struggled to find words as a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions swirled within me. How could she have known?

As I tried to regain my composure, she continued, "But that's not why I called you out here." Her words piqued my curiosity, diverting my attention from the whirlwind of thoughts racing through my mind.

She extended her hand towards. "Let me introduce myself properly. I'm Amelia, the first and eldest daughter-in-law of the family. I'm married to Logan's eldest brother, Scott." Her voice carried a sense of pride and authority, making it clear that she held a respected position within the family.

I hesitantly shook her hand, still feeling a bit overwhelmed by the situation. "Nice to meet you, Amelia. I'm Olivia," I replied, my voice tinged with a mix of gratitude and uncertainty.

Amelia nodded, her gaze searching mine. "Olivia, I can see that you're going through a lot right now. From what Logan told us, you're here for an internship. I know it's not my place to interrogate you on the child you're carrying but that would not change the rules we have in this house"

My brows furrowed in confusion as Amelia mentioned the existence of rules in the house. "Rules?" I repeated, seeking clarification.

Amelia's gaze remained steady as she nodded. "Yes, Olivia. There are certain rules that we follow in this house. And as the eldest daughter-in-law of the family, it's my duty to explain them to you."