45. Sweet morning

Olivia

My eyes opened to Logan playing with a strand of my hair as he smoothed it in a calming way. "Good morning," I mumbled with a yawn escaping me.

"Good morning, baby," Logan leaned forward and planted a kiss on my lips that lasted barely two seconds. My head rested on his bare chest. I felt my cheeks heat up. Getting a kiss in the early morning surely sent butterflies fluttering in my stomach, especially after the way Logan and I had spent the night. It wasn't like we had sex. Logan had said he didn't want to hurt the baby. Even though I assured him that having a single round of sex wouldn't harm the baby in any way, he didn't listen and instead held me close in his warmth, and that was how we slept.

"How long have you been up?" I asked as I looked at him. His hand was still playing with my hair, and I found it to be a soothing remedy for my exhausted self.

"Not long ago. I couldn't resist admiring a beauty," he said, making me raise an eyebrow.

"What beauty?"

"Your beauty, of course. Your eyes are tempting me." I don't know if it was his words or the tone he used, but I snuggled closer to his body, and his scent instantly enveloped my senses – a familiar scent I had come to crave, and a body I wanted to be close to.

"I like the smell of your body," I confessed, hugging him tightly. Logan chuckled in response, wrapping his strong arms around me, creating a protective shield.

"Is that supposed to be a compliment?" he teased. I hummed in return, closing my eyes to relish the moment. I didn't want it to end. Nothing else mattered to me in that moment but being wrapped in Logan's embrace. We remained in that position, the sounds of our heartbeats synchronizing.

Until I broke the silence with a thought that crossed my mind. I had been wanting to ask Logan for a while. Since we were alone and not preoccupied, maybe it was the perfect opportunity to bring it up. "Logan?" I called.

"Yes, baby girl." How could a man be so sweet and perfect at the same time? I know 'baby' is an outdated nickname, but I couldn't help my heart fluttering at the way he called me that.

"What was your mother like?" I asked, and his hand that had been gently rubbing circles on my back came to a sudden stop. I lifted my face to look at him. The cheesy smile I had seen on his face a few minutes ago was now absent. Did I touch on a sensitive topic?

"I realized that we don't really know much about each other."

What I didn't expect happened. Logan withdrew his hand from my body and proceeded to get out of bed. "We should go take a shower," he said, brushing off the topic as if he didn't want to discuss anything related to his family or his mother.

"Did I ask a sensitive question?" I inquired as he walked up to the wardrobe. His back was turned to me. I pulled the duvet over my naked body and moved toward him. I gently turned him to face me. "Why do I feel like you're angry, Logan?"

"I'm not," he said, offering me a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. No one could convince me otherwise – there was something deeper, something he was hiding inside.

"Yes, you are," I responded with a deadpan tone.

"Are you trying to pick a fight, Olivia?" he asked, avoiding my gaze once more.

But I wasn't going to back down. I cupped his face and made him look at me. "You're the one trying to pick a fight, Logan. I simply asked you a question, something I believe is okay for us to talk about. We still have a lot to learn about each other," I explained, my heart swirling with emotions.

Logan continued to avoid my gaze. I stepped closer until there was barely an inch of space left between us. I rested my hand on his bare chest, just below his heart. I could feel the rhythm of his beating heart through my palm. "Why won't you let me in, Logan?" I husked out.