18. Recovery

Even with my eyes closed, I can tell that it's day. I can't recall where I am, but I know my dorm is not this bright. Especially since I always have my blankets over my head. Without opening my eyes, I can tell that one thing is the same - Martin decided not to leave me alone. He's on my lap and purring, but I'm not sure what for. He's usually very happy to be around me, but it is unusual for him to purr in his sleep.

There are two things that are different - the hand holding onto my own and the other hand playing with my hair. Curiosity gets the best of me and I open my eyes to find Draco sitting next to me. It takes a second for my eyes to adjust to the light, especially since the white curtain is drawn behind him. "Draco?"

I can barely get my voice to work, but it is enough for a sigh to escape Draco's lips. "What happened?" I ask, my voice more raspy than usual. Once my eyes adjust to the light, I gaze into Draco's eyes and see worry and relief. I'm now conscious enough to understand that I'm in the hospital wing, but I am still unsure why.

"You hit your head pretty hard," Draco explains. His voice is barely above a whisper. There are dark circles under his eyes; he hasn't been sleeping. I know he couldn't have stayed next to me, since it's against the rules. How long have I been out? Does my father know? "Professor Snape brought you here last night."

As if a dam had been broken in my mind, the occurrences before I blacked out came back. I can't believe I'm alive! That fat man weighed enough to kill me. "Where are they?" I ask, sitting up in bed too fast. Martin meows and jumps to the bottom of the bed, below my feet. I become dizzy and Draco gently pushes me back into a laying position. My eyes close again as I fight the nausea. "Where is Harry? Is he okay?"

Draco's hand finds my hair again and he gently runs it through as he ponders on how to respond to my question. I am too worried and disoriented to consider his hatred towards Harry. I just have to make sure he's okay.

"You got the worst of it," Draco begins. I sigh in relief - I don't know what I would've done if something terrible had happened to any of them. "'Though I considered murdering Potter for putting my girl in danger."

I don't think my heart can handle anything else. I seriously might have to consult a doctor if it keeps reacting the way it does. Draco called me his girl. If I was in any better condition, I would be over the moon right now. "Do Rue and Marcus know?" I ask. The thought of squealing over Draco's words reminded me of my best friends. They must know where I am, right?

"They came for a visit last night. Don't worry, they'll be back soon."

"Valentine?"

My head turns to the opposite side of the hospital wing to focus on the voice that called me. "Malfoy, open the curtains so I can make sure you're not torturing her!"

Draco rolls his eyes and does what the voice says. On a bed not far from my own, Ron is laying with his leg wrapped. He looks visibly relieved at the sight of me. "Can you wheel her over here for a chat?" Ron asks, testing his luck with Draco's kindness today. Knowing that Draco will not take me any closer to the second person he despises most, I try to stand on my own. I don't get too far, though.

My legs wobble underneath me and I begin to fall sideways, but Draco is beside me in an instant. He guides me back onto my bed and tries to make me lay back down again, but I try to fight. "Blimey, can't you let the girl sit on her own?" Ron calls, beginning to make his way over.

"Valentine, you're awake!"

Our attention turns toward Hermione as she rushes to my bedside. She glances at Draco, still with his arms around me, and smirks at me. I can feel my face reddening at her expression. "Hermione, you have to tell me everything that happened after I blacked out," I beg. I finally listen to Draco and lay back down and he sits beside me. He's visibly uncomfortable, as the two people trying to comfort me are two of the people he's sworn to hate for years. Hermione sits on the chair next to me.

"I will later when you're mentally prepared."

In other words, when Draco isn't around. I have no problem with that since it is about Harry's life, who is the absolute enemy of my boyfriend. Well, I'm assuming I can call him my boyfriend since he called me "my girl."

Before I can reply, Hermione pats my hand and stands up. "I'll give you two some privacy."

She smiles knowingly and closes the curtains around me, assumably to join Ron. I hope that they're working out. I know it isn't obvious to others how Hermione feels, but I can only hope what's best for them will happen.

My attention turns back to Draco, who looks extremely exhausted. It hurts to see that he worried so much about me that he didn't sleep at all. "How long have you been here?" I ask. My hand is back in his. I've never seen him so gentle, even when he's been vulnerable enough with me to open up more.

"As soon as I heard. Which didn't take long - I was already looking for you when I stumbled upon you being carried in. No one would answer me and I was forced to stay away from you as Madam Pompfrey examined you. It was torture to not know if you were..." Draco clears his throat, his eyes avoiding me.

"Will you promise to never put yourself in harms way again?"

His eyes find mine again and I can see the vulnerability behind his expression. I knew he fancied me, but I didn't think he cared this much. To be worried I could ever be hurt is a dramatic difference from where I thought his fondness was. "I can't bear the thought of you being hurt again while I'm not there to help you."

I can't find the words to respond. I lay against him and his arms wrap around me, holding me close to him. "I promise," I whisper. I know that it may not be enough, but a promise is all I can give him. One instance made me realize that I'm definitely not a person meant to be faced with death so heavily. I still have to congratulate Hermione for being so heroic.

Time passes without us saying much to each other. I lay in his arms for an unknown amount of time and think of everything I can think of. I can never tell my father about what happened because he would never let me back. Summer is approaching and I will be able to see him again and feel safer in the "muggle" world. It sounds strange, but I feel normal - unseen - in the world where I grew up as opposed to the wizard world. I just wish I could see my friends during that time.

My curtains open again and Rue and Marcus appear, both with excited yet anxious expressions. "I would ask if we're interrupting, but I don't care!" Rue exclaims, diving onto the bed and engulfing me in a hug. Draco pulls away and stands next to my bed, clearing his throat awkwardly.

I look at Draco and he only nods before walking away. He's never been great at exchanging friendly conversation, so it's a step in the right direction that he didn't sneer for any reason - especially seeing the chocolate in Marcus's hands.

Rue sits on the bed next to me and Marcus sets the chocolate on the small table next to me and scoots his chair closer.

"You have to tell us everything."

A/N
Sorry for a long chapter. It took me forever trying to figure out how to end it. The trio is back together and they'll be in the upcoming chapters too.