64. Our Team

"Have a seat," Professor Umbridge instructs. She sits in her chair, folds her hands on her desk, and smiles at me. My eyes shift to each porcelain plate, watching the cats in each one interact with one another. There's light meowing from a few of them. "You must be wondering why I brought you here."

My attention now turns to her as her high-pitch voice breaks my distraction. "I was, Professor," I reply. She flicks her wand and a teapot pours tea into two small, floral pink cups. One slides on a little saucer closer to me as the other goes toward her. I almost grab the cup to drink, but then I remember what George said this summer.

He told me that some members of the Order might try to put the truth serum in my drink to ask me questions about Draco. And from what I've gathered so far about Professor Umbridge is that I cannot trust her to be any better. Her eyes flicker between the saucer and me. "Aren't you thirsty?" She asks.

"I'm alright, Professor," I reply. "Why did you need to see me?"

Her smile twitches the slightest before she continues. "I just had a few questions about the ... integrity ... of Hogwarts I knew an intelligent witch like you would know. Being a champion, I trust that you'll make the right decision in telling me the truth."

My eyebrows furrow in confusion. "What questions do you have about the integrity of Hogwarts?" I question. The more she speaks, the more I'm convinced that she's only here to discredit Professor Dumbledore. After all, the Ministry doesn't support his belief that Voldemort is back.

Professor Umbridge laughs politely. "Just a precaution, is all. The Minister wants me to check in regularly with him," she replies. "Now, I understand you have a liking toward magical creatures?"

I nod my head. "Has this brought you closer to the gamekeeper Hagrid?" She continues. A pen and notepad levitate from her desk drawer and fall quietly in front of her so that she may write notes as we talk.

"Yes, I guess you can say that. Most of our conversations are about creatures," I inform. "He is the one with the most information on almost any creature I ask about."

She hums as she scribbles in her notepad. "Do you believe that he has brought dangerous creatures into Hogwarts grounds?"

A moment of silence follows her question. "Do you?" She asks again. I think back to how Buckbeak scratched Draco's arm, and how he made it a much bigger deal than it was. She must be talking about this instance, since I have no doubt that Lucius mentioned it to the Ministry.

"No ma'am, I don't believe so," I say. I form a similarly fake smile on my face as she stares for a moment.

"Are you sure you're not thirsty?" She asks once again, motioning toward the full cup in front of me. I've noticed that she hasn't taken a sip of hers, either, which makes me more suspicious. I shouldn't doubt anything, though, since Professors aren't supposed to use any potion against a student. Would she care about those rules, though? I doubt it.

I shake my head no again. "Lunch will begin soon, and I plan on drinking then," I say. "Are there any other questions you have about the integrity of Hogwarts?"

Her smile fades. "Not for now, no. But I would like to... mentor you. It seems you have had bad influences. It's a wonder that you're such a good student with the amount of trouble caused by those around you! I'm sure Draco has been a leading cause of your good nature?"

I clear my throat and stand. "If you're finished, Professor, I'd like to eat lunch," I announce. She stands, too, with an impatient yet suspicious facade.

"Of course, dear," she replies. Her smile appears again and she gestures toward the door. After I grab my bag, I hurry down the stairs and out into the corridor, where Draco is waiting.

He's currently leaning against the wall opposite of me, reprimanding some younger Ravenclaws. "You need to be nicer," I say as I join him by the wall.

"It's about time someone got this place in order," Draco says. He wraps his arm around me and we walk to the Great Hall, where many other students are meeting for lunch. "Don't you like a man with authority?"

His question makes me giggle, and his confused expression makes me laugh harder. "Draco, don't let that authority get to your head. Professor Umbridge thinks you're the 'leading cause' of my good nature," I joke. Draco's eyebrows raise in pride.

"I guess I am pretty good," he boasts. I roll my eyes as we approach Hufflepuff table. "I'll see you later, I can't be seen with these jokes."

He motions to the students already staring at us and he turns to go to his usual seat with Crabbe and Goyle. "What did her royal highness want?" Rue asks while I sit in front of her. Marcus is next to her, looking quite upset. "Neville told us where you were when we were looking for you."

"She wants me to say things against Hogwarts. I mean, she wasn't direct about it, but she spoke about questioning the integrity of the school. She asked about Hagrid and everything," I explain.

Marcus scoffs. "I wouldn't be surprised if she was planning a Ministry take-over," he remarks. "Did you see the way she looked at me? Like I was dirt!"

"It was plain wrong," Rue adds. She looks more upset than he does. "It's her first week, and she already acts like she owns this place."

Two people squeeze themselves on either side of me, ignoring the mumbles of students they pushed out of their way. "Can't you see we're here to talk to a friend?" Fred asks the girl next to him.

"Her boyfriend's a prefect, so I'd watch your tone around her," George says to the boy who rolls his eyes. He then shakes his head and turns to me. "The nerve of some people!"

I laugh at how oblivious he is. Part of me knows he's perfectly aware of how he is, but he just doesn't care. "And to what do I owe the pleasure of your presence?" I ask the twins.

"Quidditch is starting soon, and we need your loyalty on our side," Fred says casually. "We can't have you fraternizing with the enemy." His gaze wanders over to Draco, whose eyes are already trained on him with a scrutinizing look, before he turns back to me.

"Look, you have an effect on most of the students," George says, leaning in closer as if sharing a secret. Marcus and Rue are also leaning in, but Fred's eyes are still mockingly trained on Draco. "Harry is already our seeker, but everyone thinks he's gone mad."

"Which is marvelous; we have loads of students on our side with him," Fred adds. "If we had a beloved Triwizard Champion to support us, no one will want the Slytherins to win."

"You do realize that my boyfriend is the Slytherin seeker, right?" I ask. Fred and George groan in unison. Draco has gotten up now and is almost at our table, irritation obvious on his face.

George begins to stand up to leave, but Fred merely glares at Draco as he stands behind Rue and Marcus. "What are you two Weaslebees doing with my girl?" Draco practically yells. Students quiet around us as they listen in to our conversation.

George grabs Fred by the back of his shirt to avoid conflict, but Fred doesn't budge. "What, are you intimidated by us? Think she's a bit tired of you?"

"Fred," I warn. Marcus pulls Rue away from the crossfire and they both slide down the table, Rue securely in Marcus's arms as they watch. "You need to leave," I tell Fred. He ignores me; he stands instead and his attention stays on Draco. I look to George for help, but he only shrugs.

"Please, like someone of your kind can take her away from me," Draco spits. Everyone is listening in now, and no one is hiding their interest. Even the Professors seem to be intently listening.

Fred scoffs. "And you think she just spends her summer locked in her room? Where has she been this past summer, huh? That's right, with me-"

Draco lunges across the table and tackles Fred. George quickly pulls me away before I can get caught in the crossfire and he holds me protectively as Professors - and students - rush past us.

Professor Snape is in the mix, and he grips Draco by the collar and yanks him from the ground. Both Draco's and Fred's cloaks are torn, Draco has a bruise forming on his cheek, and Fred has a bloody nose.

"That's enough! Go back to your lunch, all of you!" Professor McGonagall scolds. She waves her hands at the students who are already gossiping about what happened. She stops in front of me and George. "You two, follow me," she sighs.