32. The Yule Ball

I'm finally alone in my room. Well, mostly alone. Martin is purring next to me as I open the letter my father sent. I wonder if Marcus's parents are keeping him updated? Maybe my aunt?

Valentine,
Words cannot describe how much I miss you. It is weird having a chittering owl arrive at my office to hand me a letter from you and trusting that this letter will arrive, since the school's owls only delivered to the house. I have told everyone that your hobby is training animals and you're testing with Val. They believe me thus far and have asked for your help with their cats in the summer.

I am so proud of you. You are a fighter like your mother was, but I can only hope you are smarter than your father. Dragons! My little girl, facing a dragon! I could have had a heart attack.

Please keep me updated. Your friends parents are sending me wizard newspapers. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the pictures move!

Also - tell Draco not to get too handsy with my daughter.

I love you.

I blush at the mention of Draco - I didn't think he would see the picture of us kissing. And for it to be moving is so much more embarrassing. My life with my father feels like an entirely different existence than the one at Hogwarts. As if my father and Draco couldn't exist at the same time.

I begin to wonder about the possibilities of my father ever meeting Draco. I couldn't imagine what that could bring. Would Draco consider extending our relationship over breaks? He hasn't even formally asked me out yet. I need to keep my hopes minimized. He seems like a different person this year - I can't imagine the stress his father is putting him through. And to have his love interest as a target for dark magic?

Rue arrives in our room and invites me to the great hall, where Professor Sprout has an announcement. Rue and I join the other Hufflepuffs and Professor Sprout directs girls to stand on one side and boys to stand on the other.

"It is with great pleasure I announce that with the Triwizard Tournament, another grand experience accompanies! This Christmas, the Yule Ball will be held here at Hogwarts!"

When she is met with confused expressions, Professor Sprout continues. "The Yule Ball is, in simpler terms, a dance." We begin to cheer at her words - a dance! A formal dance where we can bring dates and dress well?

"Students are expected to be on their best behavior and look the part. As your Professor, I have the honor of teaching you the waltz in hopes that there will be less accidents!"

She instructs us to stand in a line, standing across from someone from the opposite gender. Marcus pushes his way until he is directly opposite of Rue, and I should be less shocked to see the person across from me - Cedric Diggory. This is just weird.

When music begins, we approach our dance partners and follow Professor Sprout's instructions. She is hand-in-hand with a red-faced boy in the same year as me who is avoiding the snickers of his friends.

Cedric rests his right hand on my lower back and grabs my right hand with his left. "Have you ever danced before, Valentine?" He asks. He begins to guide me through the steps as if he has done this thousands of times.

"I take it you have," I giggle. He chuckles and nods at my assumption. "I have never. Well, besides the Halloween party last year. But flailing my arms around to music doesn't count."

Cedric spins me and we hear a delighted yell from Professor Sprout, who no doubt is double proud of having two Triwizard champions in her house. "Well done, champions!" She cheers. Everyone's attention is turned toward us as if we've done something revolutionary. Noticing my embarrassment, Cedric moves us to where he is shielding me from the stares of our classmates.

"My father is beside himself," Cedric confides. We are still dancing, doing the steps Professor Sprout instructed us while moving around other students. "If you ever meet him, do you promise not to roll your eyes? He isn't fond of two underaged students next to me as champions."

I shake my head to dismiss his worry. "Cedric, don't worry! I understand. Harry and I shouldn't be competing." Cedric begins to defend himself, but I wave to stop him. "Cedric, it's okay. I didn't want to be a champion. I begged to do anything besides compete. You're the only one who deserves the title of Hogwarts champion."

"How can someone as sweet as you be in love with someone like Draco Malfoy?" He asks. When my eyes widen, he continues. "I'm sorry, Valentine, I didn't mean to insult your boyfriend. You're just so very different."

I laugh. "It's okay, Cedric. Everyone is wondering the same thing. It's hard to describe, but would you believe me if I said he isn't like his family?"

Professor Sprout stops the music and dismisses us. All of the students applaud and there's overlapping conversations as people compliment their dance partners and find their friends. "I would believe anything you say, Valentine," Cedric replies.

Cedric and I nod to each other as we separate to find our friends. "Is it too early to think about dresses?" Rue giggles, interlocking our arms and leading me to the front courtyard. Marcus walks next to Rue and easily clears the way in the sea of students. Having a tall, broad friend pays off.

"I think you would look lovely in green," Marcus says, kissing Rue on her cheek. "You'd be my little emerald."

Rue hits Marcus playfully and looks to the ground to hide her blush. Will she ever stop feeling butterflies for her boyfriend? "Will you wear a tie to match?" I ask. "Don't tell me you're only going to wear black and white. You're not that boring."

"Do you even know me? Merlin, Valentine, you know me better than that!"

We stop at a bench and sit down, continuing our conversation about what we would wear. Other students join us in the courtyard and have their own plans on who to ask and what to wear.

My heart begins to beat excitedly - will Draco ask me, or will he be disinterested in the Yule Ball? Oh gosh, I couldn't imagine being a champion and going to the Yule Ball without a date.

"Earth to Valentine!" Rue says. I snap out of my racing thoughts and look at her. Her and Marcus are laughing at my inattentiveness. "Come on, it's time for dinner!"

A/N
Sorry for the sudden ending, I didn't know how to end the chapter. I'm so excited to write about the Yule Ball.