19. Goodbye for Summer

I couldn't tell Rue or Marcus what truly happened that night. It isn't right to tell Harry's life like that; I know he doesn't want everyone to know. Who would believe that Sirius isn't a cold-blooded killer, primarily since his own cousin is still confined in Azkaban? Besides, the true culprit has escaped yet again. Harry trusts me enough to understand that I would never tell another soul about what lies beneath what the majority of the wizarding world believes. Not even Draco will be able to persuade me to tell everything; he has even had enough decency to not push the subject.

My bags are already packed and Martin is purring softly on my luggage, waiting patiently to return home. It isn't as exciting as his adventures at Hogwarts, but he loves my father as much as I do. Rue and I are saying our goodbyes outside in the courtyard to our friends from other houses. Marcus is caught up somewhere else and promised to meet us on the train. I finally face Seamus, who looks as sorrowful as I feel. I regret ever hurting him and not spending as much time with him as usual this year.

"Valentine, I'll miss you," Seamus says, sticking his hands in his pocket as he looks at me. We're still awkward together, especially since he doesn't need Draco to be especially nasty toward him. "I promise to write this summer. Might convince my mum to let me visit, too."

I smile at the thought - finally, a friend that can visit me in the summer. Since my summer is usually filled with helping my father with court papers and miscellaneous tasks, it would be a relief to have someone who understands the second life I have. "Maybe Rue and Marcus can join? I can invite Dean and Neville, too. You know, so your guard dog doesn't foam at the mouth."

I can't help but laugh at his joke. Of course, I know it's a dig at Draco, but it's undeniably funny. I'll miss laughing with him regularly like this. A hand lands on my shoulder before I can answer. I turn to find Harry looking at me; I can tell that his smile is somewhat forced. I say another goodbye to Seamus and follow Harry to a vacated place to the side of the mass. "I'm sorry I never taught you about Professor Lupin's lessons."

I laugh again; I completely forgot about the night I asked Harry to teach me about that spell. In fact, I had almost completely forgotten about dementors in general. "It's quite okay. With everything that's happened, it's a wonder you remembered anything about it."

We both sit on a bench next to us and I begin to wonder what his summer will entail. I couldn't imagine finding a living family member and having to go back to the Dursleys. Although I have never met them, I have heard enough horror stories for a lifetime. "Will you be okay this summer?"

Harry's gaze is distant. Most likely staring at Fred and George who are handing students something small. More than likely another gag they have created. "I'll manage. I've managed thirteen summers so far."

I can feel someone's gaze on us and I follow the strange feeling. My eyes fall on Draco, leaning against a tree with a small group of Slytherins crowing around him. He's saying something to the group although his eyes remain on me. Harry scoffs beside me and stands, "I'll write to you this summer, Valentine."

As he walks away, Draco leaves his posse and approaches me. I remain on the bench and he sits next to me, staring at me curiously. "What did Potter have to say to you? Whining about his murderer godfather?"

I hit his arm and roll my eyes. He can't give that boy a break, can he? I shouldn't have expected that, given their current track record. "Only promising that he'll write to me. Will you do the same?"

He avoids eye contact and straightens his posture. "I will make sure my father doesn't know. But yes, Valentine, I will write. What kind of man do you take me for?"

Relief washes through me at his reassurance. His fear of his father led me to believe that he wouldn't dare try to contact what they call a mudblood. His father, for whatever reason, only believes that purebloods are worthy enough to be considered notable in any sense. Draco's hand squeezes mine, his fingers interlocking with mine firmly. Professor McGonagall begins to call for us to gather our belongings and pets to get ready to board Hogwarts Express. Students begin to separate to double and triple-check to assure that their belongings will arrive safely.

Draco and I stand in unison, our hands still holding each other's as we face one another. "I'm going to miss you," I whisper. I know that if I speak any louder, my voice will crack. I can't let him have another reason to tease me. I bat my eyelashes and pout, hoping to get him to kiss me. Draco leans in and I stand on my tip-toes to reach his lips.

"Sorry to interrupt, but it is time to begin boarding," Professor McGonagall says. She winks at me and runs to a group of Ravenclaws to encourage them to make their journey to the carriages.

"We should go," Draco says. I nod and we depart, him rejoining his group and me finding Rue once again. Rue interlocks our arms and we join the rest of the students making their way to our trip home.

A/N
A shorter chapter after a long one!! Small spoiler - I do plan on writing about the Quidditch World Cup in an upcoming chapter so be ready for a little more action. Valentine is definitely a softy so she will definitely need a little.... comforting. ;)

Also this is posted on a Saturday since my day tomorrow will be pretty busy.