45. Cornered

I grab my bag and head down to the library. It's a Friday night and Rue and Marcus are on a date, so I've decided to study there. Hopefully I'll run into someone so I won't be alone the entire time. I know I could've asked Draco to do something, but I got too shy. Maybe tomorrow we can go to Hogsmeade together.

I search through the library before finding an empty table in a secluded area. There are more students here than I thought, which is very shocking for a Friday night. I open my bag and grab my book, quill, ink, and parchment and begin my essay.

"I thought champions don't have to take exams?"

I look up, smiling in expectance of a friend or another champion. My smile vanishes the moment I make eye contact with Lev. I begin to stand to excuse myself, but a hand rests on my shoulder to stop me. I look up and see a brooding Durmstrang boy with a firm grip on my shoulder. My heart skips a beat - I would not be fast enough to grab my wand from my bag without one of them stopping me.

They both take the empty seats at the table and Lev smiles, leaning forward and resting his head on his hand. "Where is your guard dog? He must be dumber than I thought to leave you alone. And on a Friday night?"

I try to pack my bag but Lev's friend snatches it from my grip. His hand is still firmly on my shoulder as he glares at me as if to tell me to not fight. "What do you want?" I ask. All I can do is talk to him; I don't have access to my wand and I'm certainly not strong enough physically to stop them.

Lev's smile turns more wicked as he feigns innocence. "Can't two friends chat?" He maliciously asks. My eyes turn toward his friend and remind him that not only are we not friends, but there are three of us. Lev's smile falters.

"You don't know what I'm capable of. I'd suggest dumping that sorry piece of-"

Before I can think, I shove his friend off of me and stand. Lev is on the same level in an instant with his wand on me. Once recovered, his friend points his at me, too. "Do not speak about Draco like that," I warn. Although there are two wands pointed at me and he's right - I don't know what he's capable of - I refuse to sit and listen to him trash my boyfriend.

"Put your wands down, both of you."

Professor Moody limps toward us, his own wand pointed at Lev. The two Durmstrang boys reluctantly do as he instructs. "What kind of men are ya, cornering a girl without a wand?" He asks in disgust. "Karkaroff will be hearing all about this. I suggest both of you leave."

Lev and his friend mutter under their breath as they walk away. I turn to Professor Moody in gratitude. "How did you know where I was?" I ask. I grab my bag and throw it over my shoulder, ready to leave as soon as he excuses me.

"Years of being an auror have taught me a thing or two." Professor Moody places his wand back in its holder and takes a long swig of his flask. He shakes his head and stuffs the flask in his coat pocket. "I've already notified Malfoy to meet you here. He will be teaching you more defenses so this doesn't happen again."

As if on cue, Draco appears from a break in the bookcases a few tables over. Relief washes over his face as he sighs and approaches us. Before I can get a word out, he throws his arms around me tightly.

"I'll see you in lessons," Professor Moody says, walking away.

"If he so much as laid a finger on you, I will-"

I shove my head in the crook of his neck and let out a sigh of relief, wrapping my arms around him. My heart is still racing and I'm sure he can feel it as he almost crushes me in his arms. "Can you stay with me in here?" I ask.

"Of course, my love," Draco whispers. He leans down and puts his hand on my chin to lift my face up to look at him. He looks so worried; his eyes are wide and his eyebrows are knitted together as he analyzes my face.