30. Strange Encounter

"Our Valentine, a dragon slayer!" Marcus cheers. I roll my eyes playfully at his tease. He wraps one arm around me and the other around Rue, all three of us walking to Hogsmeade for the day. Passing students congratulate me for getting the second-highest score on the first task. I didn't learn of this until later when the nerves wore off and I could fully comprehend what was being told to me. I wrote my father as soon as I could, hoping that he would be proud of me. Not that he has anyone to brag about me to without sounding insane, besides my mom's sister and her family. I'm sure they will be told all about it. "How were you able to cast a silencing spell that powerful? Every professor was impressed!"

"We have to celebrate! I already asked Harry and Cedric to gather their friends and meet with us at The Three Broomsticks," Rue squeals. We pick up our pace in anticipation; I could use celebration right now with how grateful I am to still be alive. My foot is completely healed now, too, and there is no sign of any burns. "I heard that Hermione has her own little admirer from Durmstrang."

We all giggle - including Marcus, who loves girly gossip - and enter The Three Broomsticks. We find a few tables pushed together with our friends already there. Harry is talking with Hermione, Fred, and George. Ron is at the opposite end of the table looking rather broody while stirring his butter beer. "Valentine!" Hermione gasps. She pushes herself away from the table and hugs me. "You were brilliant! Did Malfoy teach you those spells?"

Marcus excuses himself to buy some drinks and I sit next to Hermione. Rue sits next to Harry, joining his conversation with the twins. "He taught me a lot. We originally decided to lure the dragon to sleep, but I knew that wouldn't work. When I felt the small dragon in my pocket, I had the idea. I didn't know I could run that fast." We both laugh and continue our conversation. She tells me about Harry's broomstick and the dragon breaking the shackles to chase him across the castle. That is a lot cooler than my turn, but it's to be expected from Harry Potter.

Fred crouches next to me and George wedges his way in between me and Hermione. George throws his arm around me and pinches my cheek. "Our sweet little lovebird!" He coos.

"You surprised us, Valentine," Fred confides. He lays his arm on the table and sets his chin on it to look up at me. "You're now the center of attention for Hogwarts."

"Next to Harry, that is," George adds. "But you're easier on the eyes," he whispers, throwing a look at Harry. I push his arm off of me in amusement. Marcus is back with the drinks so George and Fred return to their seats across from me, both of them striking up a conversation with Rue and Marcus about the exams they have to take this year. One good thing about being a champion is that I do not have to participate in any exams. This has caused Professor Snape to find a new disgust in me. I'm sure, to him, I'm no better than Harry or his friends, who I know he hasn't liked since they first arrived.

"Well if it isn't the Hogwarts legend in person," someone teases from behind me. It's Cedric with a few of his friends. Cho Chang is smiling kindly at his side. She looks so proud to be next to him, but I'm unsure who wouldn't be. I stand to give Cedric a proper hug and invite him to sit next to me. Cedric and Cho are now in front of Harry and Hermione, but Harry can't seem to look at them properly. Is he blushing? "Everyone has been talking about you, you know," Cedric says, taking a bite out of his pastry. "Me included. I have to say, I didn't expect you to score so highly."

I take a swig of my butterbeer and agree with him. "I'm sure some people," I glare at the Weasley twins, "were already planning on what to say at my funeral. I guess they'll just have to re-plan their monologues after the second task." Fred and George begin to defend themselves, but I dismiss their arguments. Even if there was a hint of truth, I can't blame anyone for not thinking a girl like me would survive something like that. Perhaps it was some sort of miracle.

I turn my attention to Hermione and lean closer to her and make sure no one is listening. "So, about your newfound romance?" I inquire, raising an eyebrow. She shooshes me, blushes, and looks around to see if anyone notices. She tells me and Rue to follow her outside and we excuse ourselves. "Spill it, Hermione," I say. The three of us sit on a bench across from the crowd of people.

"I can't explain it!" She begins, her cheeks becoming red as she speaks. "I mean, I never looked at him like that before. Then I saw him at Hogwarts and I... I don't know, really. He's more handsome in person than he was on the posters in Ron's room."

"Are you guys dating? Have you had any alone time?" Rue asks. Hermione is in the middle of us and both Rue and I have our bodies completely turned toward her in interest. This is exactly what Hermione needs - girl time to giggle about boys. "Don't leave any details out!"

We erupt in laughter before Hermione continues. "Well, not much has happened so far. We just happen to be in the library at the same time. It's hard to not notice, with all the girls that fancy him whispering so loudly. It's just when he looks at me... I know he's really looking at me. Does that make sense?"

Rue squeals and kicks her legs like a schoolgirl. Well, I guess she is one. "Hermione, this is fantastic! Oh, the look on those girls' faces when they see his eyes on you! I have to be there, I really do!" We continue to talk about Hermione's love interest when someone in a deep red uniform and fur hat steps in front of us. My eyes widen in shock - it's the boy who stares at me and dropped the drawing for me to find.

"Val, may I have a word?" He asks. His voice is stern and it seems less of an invitation and more of a demand. "Don't worry, she'll be right back." His head turns to Hermione and Rue, who are both looking as confused and worried as me. Draco told me to stay away from him, and Professor Moody told me to keep an eye on him. Can I do both?

"Only if it's within the eyesight of my friends," I say. His eyes shift between them once again and he nods. We walk to a bench barely out of earshot of Hermione and Rue, but close enough for one of them to hex him if they need to. "May I ask who you are, and why you left me that drawing?"

"I am Lev. You did not know the task and I could not be seen telling you."

I am almost shocked by how matter-of-fact he is. "How did you know I didn't know I had to face dragons?" Lev's eyes shift around us as if in search of something or someone. His dirty blond hair is barely noticeable under his cap and his dark green eyes seem untrustworthy. That may be because the boy I adore most told me to not trust the boy in front of me.

"That is unimportant. What I need to tell you is that it is by no mistake your name was entered. You must be careful, Valentine."

He stalks off down a trail that leads toward Hogwarts. When I rejoin Rue and Hermione, I tell them everything Lev said. "Are you going to tell Malfoy?" Hermione questions. "You know I can't stand him, but he needs to know something like this."

I nod and stand once again. "You're right - I have to go tell him."