67. Plans

"Why were you gone for so long?" I ask, struggling to fall into stride to keep pace with Hagrid. "I was worried about you." More students run in front of us to meet outside of the castle. I'm on my way to Herbology, but thankfully ran into Hagrid for the first time since his return. He has terrible bruises and is walking with a limp. I hate to think of anything big enough to hurt him that badly. 

Hagrid waves his hand to dismiss my worries. "Ah, Valentine, don' go worrying about me," he replies. We step out of the line of students hurrying toward their next lesson. "You've got enough on yer plate without bringin' me into it." He waves to a first-year and they return the gesture, though they look nervous about his bruises. "I heard Umbridge has her eyes on ya."

I roll my eyes. "She has her laser vision on you, too, Hagrid," I say. Marcus and Rue appear from inside the castle. Marcus's blonde hair reflects the sun and Rue's curls bounce with every step. Her hair has gotten long - so long that I question how she gets ready so quickly every morning. "I don't like the power she appoints herself. It's nerve-wracking."

Marcus and Rue stop next to us. "Are you two talking about the high inquisitor herself?" Marcus scoffs. Hagrid begins to laugh but clears his throat to not look suspicious. "She's got it out for everyone on these school grounds. It has to be the Ministry making it's way here, there's no other explanation."

Hagrid puts his rough hands on my and Rue's shoulders, making both of us jolt suddenly with his force. "It's time fer yer classes, ye better get goin'," he says. We know he won't listen to another word we're saying, so we bid him goodbye and walk to Herbology.

"I think Harry talks to him constantly about it," Rue whispers. We find our place in the back of the green room and watch as more students pile in, some looking our direction and whispering under their breath. I groan internally, knowing they're talking about Draco's outburst toward Fred. "Have you spoken to Harry at all about it?"

I shake my head and finally turn my eyes to her. Her dark, thick eyebrows are furrowed in worry. "Have you seen the bandages on his hand after so-called detention?" Marcus asks. "That woman is evil, through and through, and he is taking the brunt of it. And some of these professors will go mad at her constant breathing down their necks."

"Speak of the devil," I whisper in disbelief. Professor Umbridge's heels on the stones outside are heard before she is seen. Professor Sprout feigns a smile at the arrival of the high inquisitor, although it's obvious no one wants her around. They speak politely to one another, before Professor Umbridge quickly turns and walks toward the back of the class, only a few feet away from us. "How do her feet not hurt from those shoes?" I whisper. Rue giggles into her hand.

"They've gone numb under the weight of her toad body," she jokes. The three of us burst into laughter before Professor Umbridge shrilly clears her voice and glares at us. "Sorry, Professor, we'll mind our volume," Rue apologizes. She stifles another laugh as Professor Sprout begins her lesson.

***

"Valentine," Hermione calls. I turn and follow her as she beckons me away from Rue. She's standing alone near a light pole and looks as nervous as ever. We're currently on our way to Hogsmeade and I'm curious as to why she's not with her friends. "How would you feel about teaching defense against the dark arts with Harry?"

My eyes widen and I gasp in shock. "Teach? What do you mean? I barely survived, I could hardly teach! Besides, Professor Umbridge-"

"Forget about what Professor Umbridge says! We found a place outside of Hogwarts where we could practice magic. She never said anything about casting spells outside of Hogwarts grounds, so we technically aren't breaking any rules."