Chapter 12

I stare out the open door of my room, waiting anxiously for Macy to appear.

Tonight is the Solstice Ball, and I am relying on Macy to bring me my dress. She'd taken my measurements several hours ago and had apparently gone down to the dress-making room to tailor our dresses. Though, she wouldn't tell me the colour or design of mine. I suppose it is part of the surprise.

I lean back on my bed, keeping my eyes locked on the doorway. Alex had informed me during one of our many training sessions this past week that the Solstice Ball was always hosted before the proceedings of the second round. After that, the competition would be narrowed down to five girls, and the prince will have some time to make his choice.

I frown. Something strange is happening between Alex and me. Every one of our training sessions involved a lot of touching and lingering stares. Though, I couldn't deny the heat I felt at every one of those touches, and how much I enjoyed his company in general. I had never really had anyone interested in me romantically... if he is interested in me, that is. Maybe he's just a flirty guy and I'm misinterpreting everything. Either way, Alex is leagues different from Kohl. The prince has barely spoken to me since our little Rendezvous, not to mention the way he's seemed to be avoiding my eyes at the breakfasts and dinners. Maybe he only wants anything to do with me when he actually needs me.

Several footsteps pound along the hallway, and moments later, Macy peeks her head inside. She holds two packages – one in each arm – as she approaches me with an excited grin. "Just finished the dresses. You're going to love this one!"

She hands me one of the parcels and I take a moment to run my hand over the silk packaging. I look over to her as she places her parcel on my bed and begins to unwrap it. My eyes instantly lock on the flowery, butter-yellow dress as she lifts it up to admire. She gives me a sly smile.

"Nice, isn't it?"

"Yeah," I reply, a little breathless. The dress is gorgeous despite its simplicity. Its butter-yellow bodice is wrapped in gauzy, yellow ribbons, and the dress itself is a midi that would fan out to her knees. I just know it will look gorgeous on her.

She flicks her eyes to my parcel. "Open it!"

I playfully roll my eyes are I pull on the silk ribbons. The white material falls apart, and a silent gasp escapes me as a light, magenta silk greets me. I hold up the dress and press it to my body, at a loss for words. It's beautiful. The silk material glistens like a sheet of water as it falls to my ankles, shining in the light of the sinking sun coming through my window. The corset bodice takes the dress in at the middle, studded with rhinestones of various purples and reds, and every shade in between. The neckline – also studded with colourful rhinestones – dips down into a V and I blush as I realise this dress will reveal a generous amount of cleavage.

"This is..." I begin but I can't quite get the words out. I look to Macy, hoping my face will tell the story, and she grins.

"Awesome, right?"

I nod. "Better than awesome. Spectacular is a better word."

Macy shoots to her feet, grinning from ear to ear. "I'm glad you like it, but you can only make your final judgement once it's on you. Let's put them on!"

I nod and Macy rushes for my ensuite as I begin to peel my clothes off before chucking them on the bed. I slip into my dress, the material rushing like water over my skin as I pull them on. I pull the straps over my shoulders and relish in the weight that tugs down at me as the dress hangs all the way to my ankles. I slip into the red stilettos Macy brought me earlier today and, when I stare into the floor-length mirror at the corner of my room, I blow out a long breath.