Chapter 47

It's funny that when you think now is the time to back out of a situation you get dragged as much as further in it

It's funny that when you think now is the time to back out of a situation you get dragged as much as further in it. Most of the time I feel as if my luck is allergic with me somehow. It's never in my favor if I'm stuck in these kind of scenarios.

I looked at them dumbfounded. I cursed myself to let my emotions overpower me. How can I be so stupid? Now I have to explain them how I know it. Well....! Kiddos sis, now find an excuse because no way in hell I'm telling these idiots that I'm the famous hacker fox. Then, all of a sudden, an idea strike me.
"Do you guys really think I'm stupid and blind. All those heavy duty guards patrolling outside the house with those big guns. Fine, may be that could be normal for people like you who have so much wealth. However, what about the personal guns you all carry? Hmmm...? Okay that can also be normal for you all because of your personal safety but what about the file that was in your father's room which said capo? Now, definitely a normal owner of the company is not called capo, is he? That surely isn't normal. Also, even if I was not sure till now, all of your reactions confirmed my suspicions. So, thank you for that."
I know that file part was a lie but I had to come up with something.

They all kept looking at me like a statue. Okay!!!! I guess they are freeze so should I run. Good... let's do that. But as I said before, when was that last time this stupid luck was on my side.
"And you don't have any issues with that cara?" Nonno spoke from other side of the room. With him nana and my supposed namely father was also standing. Did they all listen to everything? Okay... calm down Hazel you can do this. No need to get nervous in front of them.

"Does that matter nonno?"
"Of course, it doesn't bambina. Why would you ask that?"
"As I said before nonno. It doesn't concern me anymore."
He came forward and kept his hand on my shoulder.
"It does cara.... it does. Whether you believe it or not. You are a part of this family now so your thoughts matter to me, to us."
"Are you sure nonno?"
"Yes, now answer my question."
"You have been part of this, I don't know how long, but it really doesn't matter nonno till I'm not involved in it. I'd really appreciate if I'm not part of all this."
"Come with me cara let's sit over there and talk." We all followed him to the sofas. For some reason I couldn't say no to him.

As we sat, nana held my hands and spoke.
"We heard your conversation Hazel. Are you still angry with me about what I said the other day."
"No nana, I'm not angry with you."
"Please don't lie cara. I know what I said was wrong. I was afraid of your reaction when you'll find out us being in the mafia, that's why I told you to leave us."
"What.....!" Everyone was shocked hearing that.
"I'm sorry, I know it was wrong of me to do that but I was worried sick about her reaction. I didn't want to loose my only girl forever. If she'd stay away from us at least she'd be living safe."
"I didn't expect this from you Genoveva." Nonno said to nana.
"I'm sorry."

I couldn't see all this happening with nana too so I butted in it.
"We did talked but I convinced her after that, that I'm not going anywhere. That's it's my choice to leave or stay. Please don't be upset with her nonno."
The whole family now was sitting in living room. At some point in our conversation rest of the guys too joined us. Even my supposed father was also looking at me now with his full attention.

"Then why did you leave?"
Is it just me or I can really see surprised face of Santino, Achille and Gabrielle? Before I could even say something nonno spoke again.
"What...? You all thought I didn't knew anything? My hair didn't turn grey just fooling around. I was the capo of this Italian mafia and not to forget I'm your grandfather. I did had my suspicion when you all didn't said a single word about what happened in the office. Even my own son stood there like a fool."
"But how did you know that dad?"
"I've installed hidden cameras all over my properties son. If you think I've retired now and living in this house just as a old man then you all are highly mistaken. I'm glad that I took that decision once. I was glad that I could see and hear it myself. At least now I know how much poison you all withhold in you for my cara."

With this bomb drop, even I was speechless. I kept looking at everyone's face that showed shock except nana. Does that means she knew about those cameras?
"And what did you three thought, by kidnapping her from her own house. Santino you were the one who told her to leave you alone. Am I right?"
"I was angry at that time nonno. Even I was not aware of what was coming out of my mouth."
"That doesn't give any justification on what you said to her. Just because you were angry doesn't mean you can't control your own mouth and feelings. You all have been trained with all this. Then how come this happened now only? I've never seen you lose control over anything before in front of anybody."
He didn't said anything and just sat there keeping his head down.
"And you all...." nonno said looking at other boys.
"If he was stupid enough to make that mistake you all are not less than him. That day when we all found out that she's our blood you all were happy. Then what happened? None of you even cared to even talk to her."
Nonno was now angry and disappointed with all of them. I should be happy that they are being shown mirror. I should be happy that they are being scold but why am I not happy?

"And you my son, you've let me down so much today. Shame on you all. Shame on all of us to treat our only princess like that. Hazel, cara, I know we all have hurt you. We all made a mistake in some way to let you down but now I'm going to make it up to you. You can decide cara, you can either leave us as you did yesterday and try to forgive us or you can give us another chance and make us pay for our mistakes and try forgiving us."

Never have I ever thought that my morning would be starting like this.