𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝟔

The pitch-black SUV comes to a halt in front of the clock tower in the quaint Italian town of Volterra. The towering structure casts a watchful eye on the bustling streets below. Felix and Demetri opened my car door. "After you, Angiolo," Felix stated as I made my way out of the car, appreciating the sun on my skin. Under the tower is a large set of doors, guarded by two Volturi sentinels who patiently stand their ground. The guards bow in respect, acknowledging the presence of our group. With a well-rehearsed push, the wooden doors swing open, revealing the long hall beyond. As the doors meet the sturdy walls, a click resonates through the ancient corridors.

We step inside, our footsteps echoing within the confines of the brightly lit hallway. A loud bang punctuates the silence. I turned my head around, seeking to discern the source of the sound. My eyes met the sight of the doors firmly shut behind us, sealing us within this enigmatic space. An aura of calmness pervades the corridor. The walls, painted an off-white, exude simplicity and minimalism, providing a blank canvas for the senses to absorb. Underneath our feet, Brazilian gray slate tiles form an intricate mosaic with a smooth and cool surface. With each stride we take, a symphony of clicks fills the air. Hovering above us, a series of common rectangular fluorescent lights hang from the ceiling. Their artificial shine creates a subtle pale glow, navigating the details of this hallway and basking every inch in a gentle wash of radiance. These illuminating beacons guide our way, allowing us to fully perceive the nuances and subtleties of our environment. "It's pretty nice in here." I praised. "This is for the tours; they take the stairs, though," Caius replies casually, his voice echoing through the expansive hallways of the grand castle.

I watch intently as Aro makes his way down the seemingly endless corridor toward an elevator. "No time to waste, my sweet." With a firm grip on my hand, he pulls me along, the rest of my mates following closely behind. I can't help but question the purpose of the "tours" that Caius has mentioned. "Tours?" As the question lingers in the air, all eyes dart to Demetri. His usual composed demeanor falters for a moment, his body tensing. The weight of his silence hangs heavily around us, and my inquisitive mind is itching for an explanation. However, before I can press further, the heavy door to the elevator screeches as it shuts behind us, sealing us off from the outside world. The sudden silence is broken only by the faint thud of a bolt sliding home, locking us in.

Finally, Demetri begins to reveal the truth behind these "tours". "Our fisher Heidi lures in unsuspecting humans to sate the thirst that plagues us. It is not an act of hospitality for the humans; it is a facade, an elaborate ruse cleverly masked as a tour," he says, standing tensely planted in his place. "That makes sense," I reply in understanding as I nod my head in agreement. Behind my composed demeanor, unease begins to creep in, perplexed by his conduct. "Is something wrong, Demetri?" I asked with concern; my eyes stuck to him, hoping for an earnest response. He coldly brushed me off, "We shall discuss it later." He was devoid of any emotion, avoiding eye contact with me. I felt an abrupt pang of distress—a sharp ache in my chest—that made me pause to process the meaning behind his dismissive words and sudden, distant actions. I decided to brush off his behavior though, not letting it ruin my mood.

The elevator ride turned out to be shorter than expected. As the doors slid open, we were greeted by an entrancing sight that could only be described as a posh office reception area. The walls were paneled in wood, exhibiting a masterful fusion of classic charm and elegance, and the floors were carpeted in a deep shade of red. We entered the room, and it became evident that natural lighting was not a significant feature on its walls, as there were no windows to allow the sunshine to filter in. Compensating for this lack of natural light were the large, brilliantly elucidate paintings showcasing the breathtaking scenery of the Tuscan countryside, which hung on the walls in every corner as if they were replacing the absent windows. Black leather couches were arranged in cozy groupings that invited conversation and relaxation. Shiny, polished tables held crystal vases brimming with vibrantly colored bouquets, injecting bursts of life and color into the otherwise neutral-toned surroundings.