30

ALL I DO

ALL I DO.
{ irl }

"are you, uh, gonna sit down? or?" matt asks, making niola jump at the sound of her voice. she sits down across from him rather than beside him, which confuses matt. all day, she's been clingy but now she's awkwardly sitting far away.

matt notices how niola's eyes dart around, seeming to be on edge. he suddenly remembers how she was acting in class — which is what started all of this confusion.

"are you okay?" matt asks her, making sure his voice is soft and kind rather than pushy and invasive. "you were literally running away from me earlier. i tried to give you time to cool off, but i was too worried. so i sent camille to check on you."

niola's heart flutters simply from how much he worries about her. has she always been this oblivious to how nice matt is to her?

"yeah, i'm fine. thanks." niola responds, avoiding eye contact. "i already explained everything to camille. she comforted me, so i'm fine now."

despite knowing that it's not his fault, matt cant help but feel guilty for not being there for niola when she needed him.

"would you be able to tell me what it was that had been upsetting you?" matt asks. "you don't have to, but i'm still a bit worried."

niola's heart stops. how was she supposed to tell matt that being around him makes her feel nauseous?

"no." niola says, lowering her head. "i can't tell you. you can't know."

"that's fine," matt says with a smile, trying to ignore the way his heart just broke. "is there anything i can do to help, then?"

"can i-" niola stops herself from finishing her question.

what am i thinking? was i seriously about to ask him for a fucking hug? especially considering this weird illness, why would i even think about asking him for that? what if it's contagious? what if the hug makes me feel even worse?

"you can ask me." matt reassures her, quickly noticing her uncertainty.

"no. i can't." niola shakes her head.

finally, she looks up and meets his eyes. when she does, she immediately wishes that she hadn't. matt was already looking at her with a wide smile spread across his face.

his mouth curves in the most adoring way, making niola want to melt into a puddle from how pretty he is.

"why are you looking at me like that?" matt asks with a chuckle, the sound making niola swoon even more than she already had been.

"i- uh, well," she stammers before abruptly standing up from her seat. "i have to go to the bathroom."

"didn't you just come back from the bathroom." matt asks with a raised brow.

"yeah, well, i feel sick." niola lies, trying to get out of this conversation as quick as possible.

matt stands from his seat and rushes to her side, "shit. are you okay?"

matt stands inches in front of her, placing his hands on each of her shoulders to get a better look at her face. niola's heart starts to beat at an unstable rate and her stomach starts to do backflips.

whatever is causing her to feel like this, she needs to get away from.

she hates the feeling of not being in control of her own feelings. but around matt, she gets all flustered and even sick.

"don't touch me!" she shouts without meaning to. niola pushes matt away from her, breathing heavily. "please just- just get away!"

before she can realize what she just did, matt's eyes widen. he takes a step away from her, apologizing over and over.

"i'm so sorry, silvers." he says. "i didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable."

niola looks around, realizing that everyone is staring at them. she feels like she can't breathe. her face is hot, her stomach is sick, and now her breathing is uneven. niola can hardly hear him — she can't seem to focus on anything around her. she tries to stabilize her breathing and slow down her heart rate. but it's no use.

she looks up at matt, still unsure about why he seems so hurt.

wait, what did i say to him? i cant remember. i can't- ugh! her mind is spiraling. she feels like she can't even put two thoughts together.

more than anything else, she needs matt. she wants to hug him. she wants to cry to him. she wants him to tell her everything will be okay. but he won't even meet her eyes. he's standing far away from her, trying to give her space.

this is her worst fear — unintentionally hurting someone she cares deeply about.

out of everyone, niola didn't think she would hurt matt. he can read her mind better than anyone. he always knows how she's feeling and what she needs. so out of everyone, she never thought she would miscommunicate her emotions to him.

and worst of all, she knows this is all her fault.

she shouldn't have freaked out like that. she shouldn't have yelled. she shouldn't have said whatever she said to him.

.∘◦❀◦∘.
a/n : i hate the miscommunication trope with literally ALL my heart, but i swear it will make sense for them and it will help develop their relationship as well as the plot 🤭
trust me, im not gonna make them hate eachother js bc they can't talk it out (i hate when books do that shit) 🤢..