58

ALL I DO

ALL I DO.
{ irl }

a/n : double update because i feel horrible for forgetting to upload

"dad?" niola says, timidly fumbling with her fingers as she approaches her father. he's sitting at the desk placed in the corner of the hotel room. at the sound of her voice, he looks up. "can i ask you something?"

"of course you can," he tells her with a smile. "don't act so shy about it, dear."

niola bites the inside of her cheek until it begins to hurt. then she bites on the other cheek, trying to work up the courage to ask about the beach.

"would you mind if i went with a few friends and we hung out at the beach?" she asks, biting down on her cheek even harder as she speaks.

"depends." her father replies bitterly, looking back down at the paper he's writing. "are these friends the ones i met at your ex-boyfriend's house? if so, no."

she clenches her jaw shut, keeping herself from cussing him out. "no. they're different friends."

"what friends?" he asks, still writing. "i want their names."

"lucas," she lists, trying to think of fake names. "ella, jamie, and maddison."

her father puts his pen down and folds up the paper, still not looking at niola. he opens the drawer of the desk and slides the paper inside. "yes. you can go to the beach, niola. i don't know why you were so afraid to ask me for permission. as long as you're done with those triplets? i don't mind."

she gives him a smile, "thank you. jamie will pick me up at noon tomorrow."

"what? no." he asks. "no, tell jamie not to bother. i want to drop you off. that way, i can meet these new friends of yours and make sure you're hanging around the right crowd."

niola's heart sinks, but she knows better than to argue. if she does, he'll know something is wrong.

he stands up from the desk, leaving the chair out in the middle of the room. he then walks over to his bed and flops down onto the mattress, his shoes still on his feet as he pulls the blanket over his body.

"i'm going down to the lobby to grab some more bath towels," niola tells him before exiting their room and walking down the hall. she passes two small children who are running up and down the narrow walkway. they nearly run into her, but they don't seem to care.

while waiting for the elevator to open, she pulls out her phone and calls matt. she places the phone between her shoulder and her ear as the doors slide open.

matt picks up almost immediately.

a couple exits the elevator as she walks in. there's still one middle-aged woman standing in the far corner, texting on her phone. niola decides the woman won't be an issue, so she begins to explain to matt what happened.