70

ALL I DO

ALL I DO.
{ irl }

a/n : i hardly have any idea how things work in court tbh so i apologize if this is inaccurate
i did tons of research, but im still not confident

"jasmine and dave silvers." the judge announces, reading their names from a document. his voice is deep and intimidating. when he looks up from the papers, his eyes scan around the room. he notices niola before anyone else. his eyebrows go up. "who is this?"

"this is niola silvers, sir." dave explains politely. "she's our oldest daughter. i brought her here to testify against her mother for custody."

jasmine glances in niola's direction. she didn't know that was the reason niola was here. she was too happy to see her daughter to think about why dave even brought her here in the first place. jasmine was about to feel upset when she noticed the way niola's picking at her fingernail polish anxiously.

jasmine may not have been present for most of her child's life, but she knows all of her habits. she knows that niola picks at things – skin, nails, clothing, etc. – when she's scared. but why would she be scared?

"children are not allowed to be present during family cases such as this." the judge states, leaning forward on his elbows to glare down at dave. "you must've known this, correct?"

"yes, but-"

"no." the judge interrupts him. "children aren't allowed in this room unless we know for certain that her claims aren't influenced by an exterior party. and seeing as you just said that you brought her here to speak ill on your ex-wife, i have no reason to believe that you've told her exactly what to say and do."

dave goes silent, knowing that the man is right.

"your honor," niola speaks up, causing everyone to look in her direction. there's no jury, so there's barely any people. but that doesn't make her any less nervous. "what i want to say has not been influenced by either of my parents, and i can prove it. my-"

the judge hold a hand up to stop her from continuing. "if you have physical proof, i will accept your request to testify. however, i don't want to hear it until after i've heard your parents' cases."

niola nods, stepping back in order to draw less attention to herself.