𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗘𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻

☽༓☾

☽༓☾

       In a room at Thornhill, on the second floor, a redhaired girl tossed and turned in her bed, her perfectly manicured nails gripping at the satin sheets beneath her body, as if she could conjure some comfort from them. Yet, try as she might, she found no security, trapped in a world that one would describe nightmarish. Nightmares were not new to her, she'd had them everyday since that fateful night when she was separated from one of the only people who ever understood her.

      What made this particular nightmare especially horrifying was the fact that this was no fantasy. Normally she could brush it off as fiction, a mere taunt from her consciousness to make her feel eternally burdened from her role. This was different, this was a taunt but it wasn't fiction, this was a memory that she had repressed to save herself.

         That wasn't the worst of all...it was the waking up and realising that for a split second she had missed her, that was the worst part. As soon as her eyes opened, she scanned them around her room, expecting...what....? Expecting to see the girl she had shut out of her life, to return to the past when there was no pressure to be the best, to appease her family. For that split second, the redhead was at peace, she was happy because she was loved. Reality came crashing down as the moonlight shone into her room, illuminating the empty space where she once resided. Another taunt, another reminder.

       Frowning, she shuffled herself off the bed and found her feet moving unconsciously towards where she kept a box of memories. Decorated in her signature red was a box that she had refused to open, not since she had made possibly the biggest mistake of her life. Shakily, her hands removed the top, revealing the contents for her to see. Immediately, she found what she had been looking for, a strip of photos from a photobooth, two girls impossibly close with wide smiles on their faces. Each photo had a different emotion but in every single one they looked at each other as if they were singlehandedly responsible for anything worthwhile.

        The memory was fresh in her mind, after all she had just relived it moments prior to this. How their laughter and excitement had filled the room as they shoved one another into the photo booth. Each time the ticking of the clock went down they shouted at one another a different emotion to portray. The ending one was silent as they stared at one another, lost in each other's gaze. Thankfully, the camera captured the rawness of their friendship, how their eyes practically gleamed in delight when they landed on their other half.

       How had they screwed everything up from one conversation?

       The girl dropped the photo strip back into the box and closed it quickly, yet she didn't remove the box off her lap. Staring down at the front cover she felt her eyes prick with tears, so many memories she had forced herself to forget as an act of what she called self preservation but anyone else could've called it self sabotage. How can you shut out a key part of your life, your main source of serotonin?