Chapter Two

I lie there in shock, I definitely didn't expect to see Amity in my result. It must have been from living there for months, all those Amity girls can really have an effect on you. 

It now makes sense why it would hurt to leave Amity, because a piece of me is Amity.

I know in every person there is a piece of each faction. It makes you human, and that is fascinating to me. It resonates with who I am.

I am not just the girl born in Abnegation, with aptitude for Dauntless, Abnegation and Erudite, I transcend that now, from the experiences I lived through, I am Tris.

This makes me think of him; the tattoos on his back, representing each faction. A beautiful sentiment. I feel a tinge of anguish for not being with him. I miss him so much.

I now wonder if he has moved on or even remembers me, this makes me worried when I go back to Dauntless that I will be an afterthought to him. 

I sit there just gazing into the rows of mirrors, feeling astonished. The only thing that takes me out of the haze is the Erudite woman snapping her fingers inches from the tip of my nose and her saying "Hello, wake up, snap out of it!"

I break out of the trance and suffer some embarrassment from the Erudite woman acting purely angry now. My face turns bright red and I quickly rush out of the door.

On the way back to Amity, I take the train to remember what it is like in Dauntless. I would never have taken the train if my aptitude results stayed the same. I want to feel safe and at ease, the way being a Dauntless made me. I want to feel normal.

 I run fast with the train quickly approaching and I grasp the quick moving handle. I can feel the wind in my hair, I feel alive. I lean over the edge of the train holding onto one handle. It gives me the rush of adrenaline I desire.

I am like the ravens tattooed on my collarbone. Free.

I am hopeful that no one spotted me riding the train, it would be unusual to see an Amity acting as a Dauntless. I could get caught and become Factionless; an outcast. It would be better to die than be Factionless.

I see the upcoming fields with the splotches of red in yellow Amity. This signals for me to jump because I don't want to be seen jumping off a train. I jump onto the rough disheveled ground covered in weeds. 

I barely land on my feet but I still feel proud of myself since I was worried that I would end up getting hurt since I haven't ridden the train in a long time.

I walk on a narrow cobblestone path to Amity farmland. I hear the birds chirping, living in Amity is like living in a utopian fairy tale. I see Avery, and she says "Sophie, come here, tell me about your aptitude test!"

She knows that I have already done the test and she is just making a false narrative to hide the fact I'm not her daughter.

"So, I'm assuming you got Dauntless, Abnegation and Erudite results" she says plainly, "Well, no... I also got Amity!" I blurt, without thinking. 

I feel uncomfortable telling someone who isn't actually my family, my result. The person who should know first is Tobias. He would truly understand.

I see her eyes widening and she isn't comprehending what I said. It is understandable especially since I had the record of most aptitudes with three factions, and now I have four. 

To the Erudite, four aptitudes would be remarkable, something to study but for the other factions it could seem dangerous, even though Divergence is supposed to be cherished now.

"I just don't know what to say." She responds a minute later and turns her back to me and walks off. 

------

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I made it longer after hearing your thoughts in the comments! :)