Chapter Three

I am surprised by Avery's reaction to my aptitude, it seems very unlike usual Amity behavior. I would have thought she would give me a warm loving hug, not storm off. 

I walk to our house, it's near the edge of the forest, in the clearing. The stone walls outside are covered in ivy. I am close to my home when I hear a distant weeping noise coming from within it. 

I rush inside to see Avery sitting on the upholstered maroon couch sobbing. She is holding one of the linen pillows tightly, I see this as a sign of comfort. 

"What's wrong, is it something that I said?" I ask calmly, though my voice is a bit shaky considering that I am concerned.

 This is not normal, the Amity are supposed to always be happy. At least that is what I thought.

"It's not you, well kind of- it's just that my daughter Sophie was Divergent and she was killed for being it, I wanted to be the first person she could tell, but now I just really miss her."

"Oh, I'm sorry, I honestly didn't know." I say in a calming voice. 

"It's alright, how would you?" She responds. "Can you tell me one thing?" "Yes, what is it?", I say, a bit confused. 

"Please choose your faction wisely, I know you think Dauntless is your choice, but think for the best of you and not just because your friends are there."

I nod. "Okay, great, now give me a hug!" I hug her but I can't help but think that she wants me to stay in Amity with her. That maybe I would be actually taking the place of her daughter.

"Oh, and also, I got something for you!" She pulls out a golden chain that braids together. I am in awe of its quaint beauty. 

"It's an anklet, I thought you would like it, the gold color represents your golden Amity heart and the metal making it represents your Dauntless toughness, the braid shows that things that make you up as a person can be intertwined."

"Thank you so much." I really do mean it when I say it, this time. 

That thought runs through my mind all night, my room has a skylight looking to the miles of stars. I have a wooden bed frame made from one of the maple trees, lines carved into the backboard forming an elaborate root system into a tree. 

I think about my faction options, Candor is out of the running because I have no aptitude for it, plus I have no desire to be a smart-mouth. It feels good using Dauntless terms.

There is no possible chance for me to transfer to Erudite, I could never be a Nose like my brother, I can't imagine wearing glasses without needing a prescription. 

And then there is also Abnegation, deeply rooted into me, but it's no longer a home to me. It guided me into finding myself, but it is not who I wish to be anymore.

Then there is Amity, I've only been here for a few months but I feel like I fit it, I have Avery and I could live a safe, happy and easy life. Everyone here is so kind, and I don't have any worries about falling into the chasm. 

But, on the other hand there is Dauntless, if I go there I could continue what I left off on and be with my friends and Tobias. But, what if he doesn't want me back, I feel an empty pit in my stomach. I wouldn't know what to do, he is the love of my life and I can't imagine not being with him.

I have no idea what I should choose.

------

This chapter is very interesting! Share what you think in the comments!