Chapter Six

I land on rough gravel, feet holding up my body weight. I know what the sharp pain in your feet, recoiling throughout your body feels like.

The impact, although painful, gives me a sense of joy. It's like a warm welcome, back in a Dauntless kind of way.

I guess I have become accustomed to the pain of jumping onto this roof, this being my third time. That gives me a sad reminder of my father, he too jumped on this roof, soon to be sacrificing his life for me.

Ever since they reestablished the factions again, there have been less transfers to Abnegation. I guess people are scared, since a lot of Abnegation was killed. The Dauntless would call that cowardice.

I look back at the train, speeding off into the distance. Golden sunlight hitting the silver paneling of the train creates a beam of light reflecting on the broken windows of the building surrounding the train. The elevated railroad above the city has always been very breathtaking to me.

It is above the city, overlooking the people, speeding around Chicago. I thought it was very interesting learning in school that before the war they built elevated tracks so they wouldn't have to dig as much. I guess that is kind of Erudite for me.

I see Christina, she must be helping with initiation now. Her hair is longer now and braided, I see brownish red highlights in her hair throughout. She is wearing a maroon color tank top, a leather jacket and some ripped black jeans.

She scans over the crowd of black, intermixed with some other colors; the transfers. She looks directly at me, but she seems to not notice that I'm actually Tris and continues to look over the large group.

"Oh, look at all you weaklings, you barely managed to get off the train. Now you have to jump." I can tell she is putting on a fake bravado. But it works, I see the look of fear spreading across the faces of everyone, even the Dauntless.

"Oh, you're too scared?!" Christina gibes. "I'm not." I look around to see who said it but everyone faces, looking at me. I guess taunting Christina performing, was really getting to me, without me even perceiving it as an issue.

"It looks like we have a brave one here, oh and from Amity. You sure you don't want to go back and wait for the others to jump first?"

"No, I don't" I say with such ferocity, spitting the words of my tongue. I would never guess that I would be speaking to my best friend, so harshly.

I climb onto the edge of the wall, I look down into the depths. I know there is a net that will endure my weight, protecting me from the harsh concrete floor.

But, it still is somewhat terrifying. I think about it, it comes to my realization, it's not the jumping into depths that is frightening. It's that once I jump, I can't go back, this is a one way route, Dauntless or nothing. 

------

Sorry for the short chapter, I haven't been feeling very motivated lately and not may people have really read this story, I will continue to write though, and not give up on my story. 

Thanks!