Chapter Five

Sizzle

The drop of blood lands in the coals. I know myself enough to understand that I have to give Dauntless another chance.

I look back at Avery and all I can do is nod. She gives me a gentle reassuring smile, I think she knew that I was going to choose Dauntless, even though she hoped for me to stay.

Avery is someone I will always remember.

I walk over to the Dauntless section and they wrap their arms around my neck and chant "Sophie, Sophie, Sophie!"

I see some familiar faces, I hope they don't recognize me. At least Tobias isn't here.  

I see that one of the Dauntless dropped their hat, its black with some gold spike details. I put it on my head so it shields my features more. 

I sat down on an empty seat next to a boy who transferred from Candor. "Hey, I'm Asher, what's your name?", "Oh, I'm T-Sophie." I almost revealed my name but I was able to catch myself. 

"Cool, I am a bit nervous about Dauntless, I have aptitude for it but it isn't Dauntless like super hard." He says shakily. "You will be fine, I  am sure of it." I am not actually sure of it, I just don't want him to break down, he seems quite fragile. 

The Choosing Ceremony ends and this is when I light up, I no longer have any feeling of regret. This is where I belong. 

The Dauntless sprint out the door, luckily for me Amity has kept me in shape from working outdoors. I am in the front of the group, we are running the tracks.

I see Asher far behind with one other Erudite girl. They are trying their best to keep up but I doubt they will make it.

I see the large silver train rounding the corner, consuming the tracks in front of it. I start running out of habit, the train matches my pace and I leap for the handle grasping it. 

I open the door and stand inside, I was the first to make it into the train, even before the Dauntless initiates. A few Dauntless hop in, it's a rhythm for them, just as it is for me.

"What's your name Amity?" The tall blond haired one says in a demeaning way. "I'm Sophie, what's yours... Dauntless?" I sneer back.

"It's Wyatt, you know what's odd to me?" "What?" I say back a bit nervously. "You act like a Dauntless, you got onto the train first and even speak like one."

"It's just because I am made to be here, I know how Dauntless act since I've always wanted to be one." I stammer, I hope they fall for my blatant lie. 

"Okay... Sophie, well be careful there are a lot of initiates this year and you don't want to get stuck guarding the fence, I wish they kept it so people got cut at 10."

They removed the rules that made it so people got cut, as long as you pass initiation you will become a Dauntless. 

We go further into the city, closer to the Dauntless headquarters. The easiest way to tell is that there are no signs of a new build because the Dauntless live inside the older buildings. 

Unlike Erudite where everything is modern and simplistic, Dauntless live in the more weathered areas. 

I see the rooftop, there are two instructors on the roof, Christina and Lauren, I am not surprised to not see Tobias. I guess he never got over his fear of heights. 

We are in the first car of the train so we have to jump first. Wyatt jumps and then I watch the shorter but stronger built friend jump next. 

"What, we have to jump!" I say this to try not to give up who I am. I hoist myself off the train. I fly through the air, this reminds me why I chose Dauntless from the beginning, to feel free and alive.

------

Sorry for not posting for a while, I am away and this is actually scheduled, so if you are reading this, this is me from the past! LOL, I hope you enjoyed this chapter.