Chapter 31

Zetsu had told the members what had happened. Itachi tried not to show any emotion about it. Even if he didn't like it, he had to admit that she had no choice but to use her Susanoo. That way she could save Kakashi and herself. He was relieved that Akina had managed not to use her Mangekyou Sharingan until today.

"I'll keep watching her some more," Zetsu spoke up when Pain asked him to. He already had someone with a Sharingan and didn't want to miss it. However, Pain had to admit that this girl was stronger than Itachi. From what he could tell, she must be his little sister who gave him that flower bracelet he never took off. He remembered when he came to them. Actually he should have taken off this bracelet but he had promised him not to show any feelings about it.

His sister was very important to him. He would not let anything happen to her. Itachi would not allow Akina to come to Akatsuki.

Kakashi sank to his knees again. The wound was gnawing at his strength and he could barely keep his eyes open. "Hang in there Kakashi.", he heard a bright voice. He tried to stand up but his legs wouldn't. Carefully he was leaned against a tree which supported him a bit. Tired, the Hatake opened his eyes and saw the outline of Akina. He saw her moving her mouth but couldn't hear what she said.

 "Hey Kakashi, stay with me!", Akina called worriedly when she saw him close his eyes again. She quickly looked around, hoping to see a plant that would help him. It wasn't far to Konoha, but she had to do something about his injury.

 "Maybe I should have learned more about healing jutsus after all..." she said to herself. Searching in her pockets and his for bandages, she was angry with herself for not having thought of it. Gritting her teeth, she looked at her partner, and she probably had no choice.

Without hesitation she took off his green vest as well as his top. Although his body was well-trained she was not allowed to think about it. "Sorry Kakashi." she said as she completely destroyed his top with the kunai. The sleeves she tied together and with the rest she made small pieces which she pressed on the wound to tie the sleeves around his body afterwards. She hoped that the fabric would absorb the blood well and he wouldn't lose any more. She put the Jonin vest back on him and put his arm around her shoulder.

 She pushed off with her legs and pulled Kakashi up, immediately putting her right arm around him. Even though she had enough strength to support him, it was difficult for her. She still didn't have her chakra back which she had used for the Susanoo. When she thought about it, she could have just gathered her chakra into her hand and slammed it into the ground. Tsunade had told her about this ability only that she didn't want to learn the jutsu.

"We'll be there soon," she said to Kakashi who was not conscious at all. The closer she got to Konoha, the heavier the Jonin became. In front of the gate, she could make out four people who must have been returning from a mission. She was glad that two of them could be recognized very well. "Oi you green beast, give me a hand!" she shouted, and Guy turned questioningly. "Akina!" shouted TenTen when she saw her friend protecting Kakashi from falling over. Guy quickly came to her rescue and lifted Kakashi onto his back.

When Akina no longer felt the weight, she slumped a bit and was held tightly by strong arms. "Hey Neji.", she smiled when she could see his eyes. Concerned, the Hyuga looked at her and could see the blood under her eyes. So she had had to use her Mangekyou Sharingan, that much was clear. Even though she had saved Kakashi he was jealous. Why had she been able to see his upper body!!! Why was she allowed to doctor him!? She wasn't allowed to look at any other men but him! "Neji?" asked Akina when she saw his slightly angry look.

Quickly, Neji shook his head and smiled at her. "I'll take you to the hospital." he said, putting his hand under the back of her knee and lifting her up. Surprised, she looked at her best friend who was on his way to the hospital. Guy had long since disappeared with Kakashi and TenTen ran after them with Lee.

 Akina could see them whispering, but since she had not activated her sharingan, she could not see their lips move. Her gaze turned back to Neji, who was looking straight ahead. She could hear his heartbeat which was elevated. His body heat penetrated through her clothes and made her heart beat faster.

What is this that felt like? She could literally feel herself glowing and certainly had a slightly flushed face. Why couldn't she take her eyes off him? Why did she want him to be near her all the time? His heartbeat calmed her down and became more tired. Even though she didn't want to, she closed her eyes and leaned her head against his chest. Neji's heart beat even faster because of that and he tried to pull himself together. It was more important that Akina was taken care of. His feelings would have to wait.

 The Uchiha opened her eyes briefly once more. When she closed her eyes, she realized what feelings were flowing through her. Her heart beat wildly when she thought of it. The corners of her mouth lifted slightly as she closed her eyes again. So this is what love felt like? A love that didn't come from siblings? "Neji, I think...I love you," she said in her mind and finally fell asleep.