•a surprise•

Authors note:
Most of this chapter is just angst. But we get some nice character development :)

~•*•*•*•~
Setting: port mafia security room, 10:00pm.
Dazai's pov:

The two glowing orbs stared at me and Chuuya through the darkness, their light more penetrating than any flashlight.

There was a light thump and I noticed how Chuuya subtly stepped in front of me.

Did he think he was protecting me?
...
Cute.

Oh well. It would be such a fascinating death to be killed by an indescribable creature!
Perhaps I'd end up on one of those cold case files. Now wouldn't that be delightful?

"Stay back..."
Chuuya Said towards the eyes, scowling as his stance shifted to be slightly wider. I could tell he was ready to fight if needed.

There was an encroaching feeling of terror that permeated through the room, emitting a feeling of dark doom. So Emo.

It certainly didn't help it was nearly pitch black in the room. Plus I was still tied up.

Suddenly, a small yet delicate thump sounded and the eyes disappeared.

Mew!

A small meow sounded and a cat jumped down from a storage cabinet.

Chuuya let out a sound of frustration and promptly hit me on the head for no reason.

"DAMN YOU SHITTY DAZAI!"
He shouted angrily. He didn't even really have a reason to be angry... unless...

"Aw is Chibi embarrassed?"
I asked teasingly, a light smirk on my face.
His face flushed an adorable angry red color.

"Mistaking a cat for some sort of sincerity indescribable evil?"
I taunted him.

Chuuya's eyebrow twitched and he hit me again, nearly toppling the chair that I was tied to over.

Damn that stung.... I liked it.

"Woah there! Easy there slug!"
I said with a light smirk, still taunting him.

Chuuya glared at me, his sapphire eyes looking at me with such venom, it was a wonder I wasn't already dead on the floor.

But that was the thing with Chuuya. You could hurt him over and over but if you asked him to trust you... he would. And that's what made him so easy to manipulate.

I smiled at him, and he responded by slapping me across my face.

"Wipe that dirty look off of your ugly face."
He growled, standing up as he watched me carefully, analyzing as I slightly struggled in the ropes I was tied with.

"Whaaa? Aren't I the most handsomest man you've ever met?"
I asked teasingly.

Suddenly, Chuuya's expression darkened. But not in the way I would've wanted it to.

It seemed more like an hollow darkness. And I knew that feeling all to well.

"Why'd you leave."
Chuuya stated plainly. I froze. It would be hard to answer that question in a way he would like... so I might as well tell the truth.

"Because of Oda. It was his dying wish for me to be a better person."
I said, laying myself raw before him. And, much to my horror, Chuuya's expression turned ever more sour.

Shit. I was in deep shit.

"So Oda's more important than me?? What about the rest of the mafia!? YOU JUST LEFT ME HERE!? ALL ALONE!? FOR SOME DAMN PROMISE?"
Chuuya yelled, his sapphire eyes flaring as he punched me in the stomach with such force, the chair I was tied to fell backwards and broke, Finally freeing me.

"Chuuya. Don't take it personally. It's not that I wanted to leave you-"
I started, but was interrupted when Chuuya slammed his foot down on my ribcage, knocking the air out of my lungs.

"BUT YOU DID! I TRUSTED YOU!"
Chuuya's voice grew angrier, and he pushed his foot down harder as I struggled to push him off. He'd grown stronger. He wasn't even using gravity manipulation right now...

"AND YOU JUST HAD TO BLOW UP MY CAR DIDN'T YOU!?"
Chuuya yelled angrily. His eyes had a sort of cold rage that chilled me to the bone. I wasn't sure if taunting him would help at this point.

"Well... it looked so blowup able-"
I was cut off when he slammed his fist into my face yet again. I felt my nose break. Dammit I'd have to go back to yosano. If I made it out alive.

"YOU DAMNED MACKERAL!"
I could tell Chuuya was having trouble expressing his uncontrollable rage. So I took a deep breath (the best I could with him pressing his foot down on my diaphragm)

"Chuuya. I know you're upset. But we need to solve-"
I started again, only to be cut off.

"YOU KNOW IM UPSET!? WOW. SHOCKER. WHO KNEW THAT WOULD HAPPEN!?"
Chuuya screamed at me, his whole body shaking with rage.

"YOU LEFT ME HERE! ALL ALONE! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO DO ALL THIS SHIT ALONE!?"
Chuuya yelled angrily, throwing another punch to my face.

I lost my patience. I could only play 'mr nice guy' for so long.

I kicked him in the stomach just enough to send him stumbling off me and I quickly got to my feet as I brushed my coat off.

"I was hoping we could be civil. But clearly, you're too immature to act like an adult. I'll help you solve the case once you can work your shit out."
I said coldly, giving him a stern look.

Chuuya looked at me, his expression seeming shocked. Whatever he saw in my eyes, clearly he didn't like.

So I promptly smiled and skipped out of the port mafia.

"Have a good day Chuu chuu!"
I said as I left.

"DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!"
He yelled at me as I left.

(A/N: I know that quotes from Pinterest but I had to add it 😤)

~•*•*•*•~
Timeframe: two days later.
Setting: the spa. (Yokohama bay hotel)
Chuuya's pov:

The spa felt nice. I loved how it was so hot I could feel my skin screaming out for me to turn the heat down.

I loved how it made it easier to not focus on what Dazai had told me.
"I was hoping we could be civil."

Why was that one damn line stuck in my head? And that look in his eyes... it reminded me of the demon prodigy. And I wasn't sure how I felt about that.

I sighed, letting the water calm me down. I looked out the window of the hotel for a view of the city.

It was a foggy day out today. It was honestly my least favorite kind of weather, I couldn't see anything at all in it.

I turned the bubbles on in the bath. They felt nice. I wished for moments like this. Where I could just.... Be. I didn't have to worry about anything. But of course I damn did.

I suppressed the yet again growing feeling of emptiness. I wasn't letting it win.

I wouldn't. I would stay strong. Because I'm just better like that.

I grinned smugly to myself and let myself lose all the tension in my body and relax in the bath.

~•*•*•*•~

Authors note:
Sorry this chapters kinda short! Idk I was just feeling a little sick today. Anyways hope you enjoyed!

Bonus chapter:

Timeframe: two days ago
Setting: port mafia security room
Cats pov:

Meow

Meow

Meow

MEWO?!?

Mew.

Meow.

Meow.

Another quick authors note: this is my best chapter so far 😎