To Bear

I had a board exam so I had to focus on my studies. However, I am back to my weekly updates.

Chapter 73

Crown Princess Elora
Furia

Any woman who is with child is intimidated by the day in which they are to give birth. There are many variables not in one's control and a lot that could go wrong.

What if Elora became an awful mother? Would she do well being both a mother and leader? Worse yet, what if her child did not survive and was stillborn?

All those questions anxiously raved in her mind, but for her mother, it was something else. What if her back did not break and her wings did not come? There are many ways to kill a cat and so are there many ways to attain one's wings. They had decided since Elora was already pregnant they could utilize the contractions to help birth her wings.

"Mother," Elora whispered. "I am thirsty."

Her mother dabbed her forehead with the damp cotton cloth. A servant rushed over to them with a cup of water, which her Mother handed to her.

"How do you feel?"

"I feel the pain in my back, though not yet unbearable." She gulped down half the water, failing to drink it all due to her discomfort.

Elora looked at the roof that was entwined brunches of the lavender tree, and a myriad of purple, and took a deep breath in for the comfort it provided. With her favored flower drenching the air with its scent, her body calmed.

The past month, her mother built the lone-standing two-roomed house, West of the palace. One room for herself and her child, and the other for those who would attend to them. Everything present was to serve the purpose of ensuring a safe birth and the survival of her child.

The Priestess took her wrist from the other side of the bed and listened for pulse reading. Nodding her head in satisfaction, she let her wrist go.

"Your Highness, please sit," she asked her.

With the assistance of her mother, she managed to sit. Her body had never felt as heavy as she did as moving any part of herself was indeed strenuous.

At 34 weeks, they decided to induce her labor. It was after all the only way Queen Elora and the Priestly Sect had concluded to be what would ensure the safety of both mother and child. In the past months, the focus had been on avoiding miscarriage and keeping the pregnancy as long as possible. It was a fight to stop her body from quitting and ejecting the child it saw as foreign and a threat to itself. Her child took so much from her body that she was only bones at this point.

Queen Elora would have much preferred to ensure the birth of her grandson and Elora to recover first before they could focus on the birth of the wings. However, the situation would not allow that. Nevoria's military had begun stationing around the borders of Furia and Huticah under the pretense of peace and want to test drills.

Elora needed her wings to seize her predominal power. A noble Furian with no wings could not exercise the needed cultivation to increase her power. Furthermore, would she not be strong enough to walk into the battlefield. Going to war without her wings would be the same as one fighting with no weapon.

"Since the contractions have begun, we will redirect them to her back," the Priestess rubbed Elora's back.

All her body knew was it needed to birth something. They would manipulate that desire by making her body think it was wings it was birthing. Only after birthing her wings would they redirect that energy back to her womb so she could birth her child.